See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Quick TC Question

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Quick TC Question

I have a quick Q about TC.. I know I use it for betting purposes and my playing strategy obviously. But say i'm playing third base Face-up multi deck. After seeing the players cards before me, do I count them and then calculate the TC before making my own play or do I stick with the TC I had before the round?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Count them and then re-calculate the TC. This is a lot easier than it seems. Just takes some practice.
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

Blog Entries

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I have an article on that here: https://blackjackincolor.com/penetration9.htm.

BTW, I just made that site mobile-friendly.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Yes - by updating the TC for the cards on the table, you will be increasing the accuracy and effectiveness of your index plays, thus increasing your EV. That being said, the value of index plays only accounts for maybe 15 - 20% of your overall EV. So the more important thing is that you have an accurate TC prior to the start of the next hand so you can size your bet properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach25 View Post
    I have a quick Q about TC.. I know I use it for betting purposes and my playing strategy obviously. But say i'm playing third base Face-up multi deck. After seeing the players cards before me, do I count them and then calculate the TC before making my own play or do I stick with the TC I had before the round?
    It comes down to your method of playing! You haven't mentioned your playing strategy, your TC conversion method, number of indexes used, or whether or not you use side counts'. I play mostly pitch games, employ a level two count system, and use 100 index departures. I side count Aces and I hope to include the 7's to my side count arsenal soon. Also, I am using 1/4 deck estimation for converting RC to TC. So for my style of play, it is extremely important to consider EVERY CARD seen before making any playing or betting decisions. It all depends!!!!

I am using AO2.. working on learning Illustrious 18 and Fab 4 at the moment with a side count of Aces. I do multi-deck but hope to be moving to single deck when I learn more of the index play.. Yes I understand that the TC is top priority because betting is more of value than playing strategy in multi-deck

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke8 View Post
    It comes down to your method of playing! You haven't mentioned your playing strategy, your TC conversion method, number of indexes used, or whether or not you use side counts'. I play mostly pitch games, employ a level two count system, and use 100 index departures. I side count Aces and I hope to include the 7's to my side count arsenal soon. Also, I am using 1/4 deck estimation for converting RC to TC. So for my style of play, it is extremely important to consider EVERY CARD seen before making any playing or betting decisions. It all depends!!!!
    i wonder how much of a greater edge you have with all those counts and TC calculating method over the simple folks who use HiLo and I-18. Perhaps Don S or Norm can educate us. Every single great player says it really is worth little more.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach25 View Post
    I am using AO2.. working on learning Illustrious 18 and Fab 4 at the moment with a side count of Aces. I do multi-deck but hope to be moving to single deck when I learn more of the index play.. Yes I understand that the TC is top priority because betting is more of value than playing strategy in multi-deck
    Illustrious 18 and Fab 4 indices were generated using the Hi-Lo count and for the Hi-Lo.

Use the Fabulous 18 instead, which is meant for AOII.

The indices for the two are very different.
    For example, insurance index for Hi-Lo 6D is 3, while it is 6 for AOII.

To answer your question, use all available information for your playing decisions and reconvert your TC.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Seriously, most of the time you should know you are not close enough to the index to worry about this. If you are close use the most updated info to make your decision.

Banned or Suspended

Firstly, if you are unsure whether or not you have crossed the

threshold to warrant violating Basic Strategy then don't !

Like Tthree and Tarzan, I believe in using an expansive raft of indices.

The statement, "Every single great player says it really is worth little more."

is one that we certainly take exception with.

"Great Players" playing solo, as opposed to

"Team Play" ~ or ~ "Shuffle-Tracking" ~ or ~ "Ace Locating",

use simple Card Counting.

These advanced A. P. techniques employ simple counts and few indices.