See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bankroll investor

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    This sounds like an absolutely horrendous arrangement.

Anyone on here want me to stake them? I get equity equal to my investment, a 25% off the top royalty of winning sessions. If we win, I get royalties AND equity, and if we lose, we split the losses equally.
    The Cash Cow.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudstreets7087 View Post
    I recently accepted an outside investment into my bankroll. The terms are that they own 25% of my bankroll and there is a 25% royalty on my session winnings until equal to the amount of the original investment. Then the royalty goes away. They can cash out anytime they like for 25% of the total bankroll or I can buy them out for the same terms as the majority share holder.

Has anyone else ever done this? The reason I did it was to finally get away from the $25 tables and get into the high roller room. I needed my bankroll to hit a certain level before I made the move to protect myself from disaster. I also know this investor extremely well and they aren't interested in learning blackjack for profit. Well they aren't interested in blackjack but are interested in the profit part.
    [Disclaimer, I've only read the first page of this thread, so some of my questions may have already been answered]

I've never played on a shared BR but I have put a decent amount of thought into team play structures. I think you left out, or at least only implicitly suggested, an important detail. How much did the investor contribute to the BR, I would assume 25% but I'd just like to confirm. With a fixed 'royalty' as you say it's a good deal for you if he contributed larger than 25% but it's a bad deal for you if he contributed less.

As others have said, the royalty is a bit concerning. What's also different than what I would accept myself, is that you're giving an investor 0 risk on his investment. While this is a good thing for him and you can do so if you're feeling generous or really want this arrangement to happen, I'd personally prefer any party with a money investment to carry a risk proportional to their equity (read: share of the) BR. I don't think it fair that if you hit bad swings, you take 75% (assuming he staked 25% of the original BR) of the loss, but for a time, if you win, you don't take 75% of the gain. You only end up getting ((100-0.25)*0.75*100=) 56.25% of the gain.

Quote Originally Posted by moo321 View Post
    This sounds like an absolutely horrendous arrangement.

Anyone on here want me to stake them? I get equity equal to my investment, a 25% off the top royalty of winning sessions. If we win, I get royalties AND equity, and if we lose, we split the losses equally.
    My point exactly. I should learn what the word 'concise' entails or else I might end up as a second T3 with as much of the hate and a fraction of the genius LOL
    Last edited by NotEnoughHeat; 05-21-2015 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Added Moo quote & comment

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    If playing correctly you should win about 60% of the sessions and lose about 40%.
    Just making sure there isn't some immutable constant I'm not aware of, but doesn't this depend on the mean and SD of the length of your sessions?

I would think 1000 exactly 30 minute sessions, 1000 exactly 12 hour sessions and 1000 wild and weird distribution of 0.5-12 hour sessions have slightly different win percentage expectations. If you reduced your sessions to 1 hand I would expect the win rate of your session to be easily calculated by using the win rate of the type of one hand session you use (play all, positive only, >= +3, etc.).

The first part of the investment agreement has been reached. I have paid out $1000 in royalty today. Now the investor owns 25% of my bankroll and no more royalty. When they gain another $1000 with their 25% equity, I will buy them out. So far it has worked very well for both of us.

CS
    Thanks for the update! Good job! Keep us posted on how it goes.
    How has it been playing in the HL rooms? Any thoughts you're willing to share?

Best,
    SiMi

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123