Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ROR and Bankroll: A General Discussion Thread

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    OK, fine. What you will probably find, if you play with the calculators, is that there is little difference between the two values. That's why I think it's easier not to mention the doubling and just not have a goal. Once you double, the difference is minuscule.

Try it here and let me know what you find: http://www.blackjacktheforum.com/res...hp?do=calcpage

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    OK, fine. What you will probably find, if you play with the calculators, is that there is little difference between the two values. That's why I think it's easier not to mention the doubling and just not have a goal. Once you double, the difference is minuscule.

Try it here and let me know what you find: http://www.blackjacktheforum.com/res...hp?do=calcpage

Don
    I see where I run the calculation (1) without a goal, and (2) with a goal of double the units I began with, I achieve precisely the same ROR, 0.71%. I further noticed that no matter what goal I set beyond doubling my bankroll (even 100,000 units vs. 2,000 units), I get the same 0.71% ROR, consistent with the no specified end result. Furthermore, I noted that lowering the end result by 58 units (1,942 instead of 2,000) my ROR was lowered by 0.01%.

All of this leads me to conclude that doubling one's income is the point at which ROR merges with all other targets greater than doubling one's bankroll, including "no specified end result" to infinity. I hope I stated that correctly; I am not a mathematician. Now I understand why others use the doubling concept and you use the "no stated goal" concept, but I must concede that your way of looking at it is more informative than the doubling concept. Without your calculation I would have assumed that the farther out the target, the higher the ROR, which is a false assumption. Thank you for that. If there is a difference, apparently it is minuscule.
    Last edited by Aslan; 02-24-2015 at 11:04 AM.

Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 - 8/23/10... “Life’s most urgent question is: what are you doing for others?” — Martin Luther King, Jr.

You made the ROR too small to begin with. Make it larger. You WILL find a difference, and, although it no longer will negligible, it won't be very large, either.

Don

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12