Thread: Keeping The Count: Inner Voice vs. Visualization

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Keeping The Count: Inner Voice vs. Visualization

When keeping the running count do you repeat it back to yourself using your inner-voice or do you avoid internal audibles and use visualization instead?

I'm asking this question because for the first several years of counting I've always used my inner-voice to repeat back to myself the Running Count. I've read about this technique in several places and also have seen it taught from credible figures in the industry. However, recently I stumbled across an interesting article on why you do NOT want to use your internal voice and instead use visualization to keep track of the Running Count so that you can "free up" that area of your mind in order to more easily engage in conversation with other players, dealers, PBs, etc. which makes complete sense to me. But if that truly is the more efficient method I now have to completely "DE-program" my original method of keeping the Running Count using my internal voice since I am so very accustomed to keeping track that way and I'm finding it difficult to NOT "speak back" the RC to myself in my mind even when I try NOT to. ARG!

So that brings me to the reason for this thread: what are your thoughts on the value of changing methods at this point after being already vested in the "internal voice" method vs the "visualization" method in terms of how much it's worth to actually switch and what method(s) do you use?

I use verbal for the count. I've tried the visualization method and it doesn't work for me with playing my hands.
    The Cash Cow.

Once, when I was young, dumb and drunk, I asked the dealer if the count was +6 or +8. Reply was "+7".

I use both the inner voice and visualization. My visualization is a faint number line centered in my vision but I need to work on strengthening it, its just faintly there and not at all times.

I use just mental for keeping up with the running count but there are times when you need to remember a number all the way through a deck plus your running count. For the number I have to remember I use a visual aid. So if I have to remember -21 all the way through the deck, I picture an upside down shoe beating the fire out of a bun and smashing it. The upside down shoe means -. If it was + the shoe would be right side up. Shoe + bun = 2+1. Upside down shoe + bun = -(2+1) or -21. With this mental picture in my mind, I have no problem keeping the running count and also remembering the permanent number. If I had to remember 3 it would be one large tree growing up inside my house and ripping the roof off as it goes through it. Once you visualize it, you won't forget it. -3 would be a tree growing with the roots sticking up through the top of the roof instead of the leaves. etc etc

Another method if you have to remember 3 or so numbers is to make a story out of it and you won't forget it. If you had to remember 8 and 10 and 5, you could visualize a red gate dripping fresh paint opening quickly and slapping a big fat hen and watching the feathers fly as she squawks and flaps and falls backward into a bee hive then being attacked by the bees. Gate + Hen + Hive = 8 +10 + 5. You won't forget them.
    Play within your bankroll, pick your games with care and learn everything you can about the game. The winning will come. It has to. It's in the cards. -- Bryce Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by ohbehave View Post
    I use both the inner voice and visualization. My visualization is a faint number line centered in my vision but I need to work on strengthening it, its just faintly there and not at all times.
    Center that faint number line between the boobs of the gal on first base and it will become much stronger.

Banned or Suspended

I'd say do what makes you the most comfortable. I only use intrapersonal communication as the way for maintaining a count in my head. Visualization just comes naturally thereafter. I really don't have to keep repeating the count in my head after a round has been completed, I just know what it is and remain as calm as I can while waiting for the next deal. I also use Ken Smiths technique for maintaining negative counts in this manner; m5, m4, m3, etc. Where the "m" means minus. It was better than thinking of words with multiple syllables such as, neg-a-tive or mi-nus. Whereas if you think of it as "m5," you don't have to think about or say words with multiple syllables internally which should increase speed slightly depending on ones technique. After enough practice it really isn't such a difficult task. Use whatever technique works best for you or find ways that you can improve on what you already know.

One way to slow up a BJ game where I have to rely on memory is playing online poker and playing a BJ sim simultaneously where I have to flip back and fourth between games while trying to maintain the count in the BJ game. If I'm not in a poker hand than I bring the BJ game up and go at it until it's my turn to act in poker and vice versa.
    Last edited by Blitzkrieg; 02-20-2015 at 09:49 AM.

I use both methods, usually visualizing whenever a table fill is occurring or a new player is buying in - things that take time and break the action.

Interesting question, never thought about how I do it before. And vocalization is the answer in my case. Normally have no problem dealing with conversations at the same time, except if I am tired which is also a good sign to leave the tables.

when the count is positive , your inner voice should sound like Mr. bill , when negative - Elmo ,
    ( just kidding )to be serious though , I only use a visual when there's a break in the action , big green floating number if positive above the table or dealer ... big red one with a minus sign if the other...I thought it was a popular idea that sound or audabile inner voices are only good for memorizing items for a limited number of seconds ...
    Last edited by Nikky_Flash; 02-21-2015 at 12:25 PM.

I primarily play DD Pitch, but use the same technique for 6 Deck Shoe as well. I start with a verbal RC supported by a visual number line. As the RC moves in either direction, neg., or pos., my RC number stops on the appropriate number, on my number line, with the last card that I've seen. It is shaded over at this point. I then visualize a complete BS Matrix, similar to the gift shop strategy cards, except mine has all the indexes for my counting system. I have devoted all of these indexes to memory. I quickly look at the discard shoe and select the 1/4 Deck estimation and multiply my shaded number times the 1/4 deck multiplier and have a TC for the Playing decision. I then visually compare the TC number to the one in the appropriate block from the matrix. Bingo, I take the appropriate action. Now if the play decision was to Stand, I tuck my cards and wait for the next card to appear. All is forgotten now except for the shaded number on my number line. It moves with each additional card that I see. Now I make another 1/4 deck estimation, select my multiplier for that level, example: RC is 5 I'm at .7 multiplier, 5 X .7 = 3.5 or a TC of 3. ( Floored TC ). I place my wager from another visual TC Ramp schedule. Everything that I said above just keeps rotating until the next shoe. Sometimes, if there is a curtailment, I will place an equal number of chips as my shaded number. If neg., they will be to the left of my main stack, pos., to the right. I can relax an wait for the game to resume again. Once back in action, I look at my chip indicator, if need be, or just go back to the number line and continue with the game. This seems like a lot of information, but it is achieved in a very fast time frame.
    Last edited by Smoke8; 02-21-2015 at 04:08 PM.

I use mainly the verbal, but when I am about to engage in a lot of talk, the visualization of the number acts to reinforce the verbal number in my head. When I visualize a number, I usually do so as a large 3-D number, perhaps made of wood, perhaps some color or other.

Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 - 8/23/10... “Life’s most urgent question is: what are you doing for others?” — Martin Luther King, Jr.