Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dream 21, Blackjack Varient

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Dream 21, Blackjack Varient

I recently returned from a cruise that had this blackjack variant, and was curious about the odds vs regular blackjack. I did horribly playing regular blackjack, but made most of it back playing this game.

The differences I remember are:

No 10s at all in the decks. Face cards still are in play, but absolutely no regular 10s.

Anytime you hit 21, you are automatically paid before the dealer hits or checks cards. Natural blackjack still pays 3:2.

6,7,8 or 7,7,7 pays like a blackjack and instantly.

Any win with 5 or more cards pays 3:2.

You can hit split Aces.

You can double down at any point.

You can surrender after doubling down.

You can surrender BEFORE the dealer checks for blackjack.

Thats all the differences I can think of off hand. Any thoughts?

What does blackjack pay?

Quote Originally Posted by hitthat16 View Post
    What does blackjack pay?
    3:2. And no need to take even money as you are paid before dealer checks their cards, even with an ace or fave showing.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlocke2012 View Post
    I recently returned from a cruise that had this blackjack variant, and was curious about the odds vs regular blackjack. I did horribly playing regular blackjack, but made most of it back playing this game.

No 10s at all in the decks. Face cards still are in play, but absolutely no regular 10s.

Anytime you hit 21, you are automatically paid before the dealer hits or checks cards. Natural blackjack still pays 3:2.

You can hit split Aces.

Does the house win on the push?

Nope. A push was a push. A push on 21 was a win for the player as you were paid as soon as you hit it (unless dealer had blackjack from the start obviously).

Is it S17 perhaps?

Sounds like a version of Spanish 21 that is not paying the patent holder to deal it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Is it S17 perhaps?
    Dealer hit s17.

The ES rule for this game is quite awesome. The H.A. should be around .17 if redoubling is permitted. Of course using the incorrect basic strategy will jack it up again.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 12-23-2014 at 02:04 PM. Reason: incomplete info

memorizing basic strategy for the sp21 (removal of tens and 6 card bonus etc etc ) game is the real hurddle ... probably take weeks if you are an Einstein , months for the mere mortal ....

Should be put in hours as weeks and months does not indicate how many hours are spent on memorizing the strategy. HM... dream 21 interesting , sound like a dream for me.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlocke2012 View Post

You can hit split Aces.

johnlocke2012,

You didn't mention the number of decks, but if it is 8, then I can confirm that Carnival Cruise Lines, as well as one of their subsidiaries, Princess, have a very similar game called "Fun 21" or "Ultimate Fun 21". The difference is cosmetic: rather than removing the 10's, they remove the Q's instead. As you stated later in the thread, the game is H17.

As also indicated later in the thread, the strategy is much, MUCH closer to that for Spanish 21 than for BJ. This means that you will inevitably catch tons of grief from the ploppies for hitting 13 vs. 4, doubling down on a three-card S18 vs. 6, and surrendering 17 vs. A, so I suggest you pack your thick skin if you're planning to play this game on a cruise.

Hope this helps!

Dog Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Hand View Post
    johnlocke2012,

You didn't mention the number of decks, but if it is 8, then I can confirm that Carnival Cruise LiI es, as well as one of their subsidiaries, Princess, have a very similar game called "Fun 21" or "Ultimate Fun 21". The difference is cosmetic: rather than removing the 10's, they remove the Q's instead. As you stated later in the thread, the game is H17.

As also indicated later in the thread, the strategy is much, MUCH closer to that for Spanish 21 than for BJ. This means that you will inevitably catch tons of grief from the ploppies for hitting 13 vs. 4, doubling down on a three-card S18 vs. 6, and surrendering 17 vs. A, so I suggest you pack your thick skin if you're planning to play this game on a cruise.

Hope this helps!

Dog Hand
    Thanks! It was a MSC Cruise. About 90,% sure it was an 8 deck game. I personally loved it, it was where I was making my money back haha. You're right about thick skin, I saw someone double a soft 20 against a face card, and the MOTHER ****** pulled an Ace! It was hilarious and stupid all at the same time. I wasn't wagering too much, so stupid moves by others didn't really bother me too much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast