See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: What ever happened to "MAZ"?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

What ever happened to "MAZ"?

His were my favorite posts on at Ken Smith's old site - very entertaining. Where did he go?

I think the trolls ran him off. The guy is definitely legit.
    The Cash Cow.

He may be legit, but he was pretty nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    He may be legit, but he was pretty nasty.
    I don't remember him being that nasty. Maybe when people got an attitude about stupid stuff. He was far from the worst poster I've ever seen on the boards.

Some really brilliant people get sick of the idiots arguing with them on the board. I think Grosjean quit posting because of that crap. The guy would make awesome points that were several levels of thought above the current discourse, and then some asshat would start railing about how the risk averse index for 10 splitting is actually .1% different when the stars are in the house of Aquarius. Grosjean wasn't particularly nice to me, but I didn't take it personally because he was always giving excellent advice.

I recently read through some of the archives from Don's site, and you could tell that some of the posters were just thinking on a different level than others.
    The Cash Cow.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by moo321 View Post
    Some really brilliant people get sick of the idiots arguing with them on the board. I think Grosjean quit posting because of that crap.
    Yeah. You start talking about things out of people's element and they can pretty foolishly rant on and on about elementary level stuff with the PHD teaching grad school level courses. You can explain and explain to try to bring them up to the expert level being discussed but some people are more interested in arguing than learning.

There were actually 2 people who used the MAZ account. One was a well know member of one of the MIT groups. The other was a friend of his (who frequently posted using a different account) who set up the account for him. I suspect that the MIT member mostly used the account for chats and his friend used it mostly for posting in controversial (non BJ) threads anonymously. Neither of them play much anymore for very different reasons.

I miss them too. They were both world class players who contributed a lot to the discussions.

-Sonny-
    Last edited by Sonny; 12-12-2014 at 11:09 AM.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
    There were actually 2 people who used the MAZ account. One was a well know member of one of the MIT groups. The other was a friend of his (who frequently posted using a different account) who set up the account for him. I suspect that the MIT member mostly used the account for chats and his friend used it mostly for posting in controversial (non BJ) threads anonymously. Neither of them play much anymore for very different reasons.
    Well, now, that's interesting Sonny. Two MAZ's.....who knew. If I remember correctly at least one of them didn't seem to like me very much. As a newbie, I apparently rubbed him or them the wrong way. I didn't take it personally. Well maybe I did at the time, but have since learned that some of the more experienced guys (here as well as BJ21) tend to be a little rough around the edges, especially when dealing with the newer members.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlene View Post
    His were my favorite posts on at Ken Smith's old site - very entertaining. Where did he go?
    http://www.blackjackinfo.com/bb/showthread.php?t=17605

The two of them must be very close. The second MAZ or (not MAZ) knew exactly MAZ was asleep. Even my roommates don't know what exactly I am doing in my room.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    Yeah. You start talking about things out of people's element and they can pretty foolishly rant on and on about elementary level stuff with the PHD teaching grad school level courses. You can explain and explain to try to bring them up to the expert level being discussed but some people are more interested in arguing than learning.
    Funny that you should mention that. Something about a pot calling the kettle black.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ View Post
    Well, now, that's interesting Sonny. Two MAZ's.....who knew. If I remember correctly at least one of them didn't seem to like me very much. As a newbie, I apparently rubbed him or them the wrong way. I didn't take it personally. Well maybe I did at the time, but have since learned that some of the more experienced guys (here as well as BJ21) tend to be a little rough around the edges, especially when dealing with the newer members.
    That's to be expected though. Pretty much any walk of life at every level has "veterans" being "rough" to the new guys. Be it Blackjack, Football, work, school, you name it.

Only difference here is that in this Blackjack 'world' there's a larger, or it seem this way, cluster of "know it alls" that absolutely refuse to be wrong about anything.

I could probably name 5 or 6 off the top of my head on this forum, and I've been here since May.

Wouldn't trade it for the world though, some of you guys (KJ and T3) have given me invaluable insight into this game we play, even if I cannot even remotely stand discussing Football with T3, who correctly identifies himself in the above quote, as the guy with the inferior knowledge and argumentative nature lol. Get him talking about Blackjack, and I'm all ears.

I've always found the more knowledgeable members here more than willing to be helpful. They are just understandably guarded.