Thread: Voodoo section

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Voodoo section

Oh my god guys what is this awful yellow color superimposed over everything here? Did I accidentally make that happen? I wanted to read some threads but I actually can't because it hurts my eyes.

But hell, since I'm here, I'll throw some Voodoo out there that's been in the back of my mind recently. I'm already fairly certain it barely makes sense, but may as well see in what ways people can belittle the question.

So here's the situation: you're playing one of those games where the dealer deals his last card last, right? Okay so you set up shop with two hands both at third base (or one at second one at third, however that works, but either way both your hands act last). Could there be any situations where you could use that to your advantage? Consider the two following specific scenarios: You put 1 unit on your first hand and 1.5 on the other, and you get dealt two 16s to a dealer 10. You hit the first one, the one with less money and get a 10. At this point, the odds change slightly: on the one hand, it's less likely another 10 will come so you feel better hitting your hand with more money on it. On the other, though, you can use that as incentive to stand because if a 2-6 comes to the dealer he's more likely to bust. Almost like you're "taking" the 10 from the dealer that would make him 20, and you can use it to "save" your hand with more money on it. In that same vein, why even hit the second 16? What are you hoping for? a 5, 4, 3, or 2, but to beat the 10 you're really hoping for the 5 or 4. These exact cards are the ones that would turn the dealer's one 10 into a 14 or 15 that would turn it into a hand that you wouldn't want to hit 16 against. Consider too that if you take a 3 or 2 that (slightly) increases the chances he will get a 10, and an 18 or 19 doesn't help you there.

Now we'll look at the reverse. You have 2 16s versus a 10, you take a card and get a 3 on your first. Now you have a 19 and you have to hit or stand your last hand. I'd still hit this, because even though getting a 10 seems more likely getting it *could* prevent the dealer from getting it and beating both of your hands. These situations are obviously pretty specific, but in the situation of 16v10 where the 18 index sits at 0 anyway, these one or two cards could have an impact on what you do with your last one and you could almost "hedge" your expensive hand against the dealer's 10. Also it's not too much of a leap to think that two 10s in a row are less likely to come than 1 and a non-10, but clearly the odds will depend on how many decks are at play. Assume this is a no surrender game.

So there it is, I realize the impact it could have would be almost negligible anyway but I'm still interested to see what you guys think.

Cheers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BramSToker View Post
    Oh my god guys what is this awful yellow color superimposed over everything here?
    So, what should be te color of voodoo?
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So, what should be te color of voodoo?
    Hmm I don't know, maybe a mellow green and change the text color if it were necessary. I guess it doesn't really warn people as much, but they'll be more likely to post here

Blog Entries

but they'll be more likely to post here
    You're assuming that I want people to post here.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

I think the baby poop mustard color is about perfect!
    Play within your bankroll, pick your games with care and learn everything you can about the game. The winning will come. It has to. It's in the cards. -- Bryce Carlson

Blog Entries

I was thinking black background and black text.

You hit the first one, the one with less money and get a 10. At this point, the odds change slightly: on the one hand, it's less likely another 10 will come so you feel better hitting your hand with more money on it
    Next cards 7-T you lose no matter what you do. So you are concerned about 6 next cards if you have lost your first hand. Then you want the A and you want the dealer to get the 6. So we are down to 4 next card scenarios. And I would want the 4 and especially the 5 so we are talking next card 2 or 3 for a choice of where we want them of 4 that matter where they go you want. So if there are lots of low cards left you want to improve your hand with a low card because the dealer is less likely to bust with that low card. If there are lots of high cards left give it to the dealer so he can bust. Wait isn't that what we do anyway?
    Last edited by Three; 12-01-2014 at 07:03 PM.