See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to speed up index generation in CVDATA

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

How to speed up index generation in CVDATA

I am doing full indices simulation in CVDATA but the simulation seem to take a long time. Is there any setting in CVData that will make the indices simulate faster? It seem like it take 30 minutes for one index to occur. In the index generation section I've selected every indices.

You may have missed that there are four different settings for the accuracy of the indices generated. In order, each setting takes longer than the previous one, because greater accuracy is stipulated. It's possible you've chosen "Beat to Death," the slowest. In order, they are: Quick & Dirty, Standard, Greater Accuracy, Beat to Death.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    You may have missed that there are four different settings for the accuracy of the indices generated. In order, each setting takes longer than the previous one, because greater accuracy is stipulated. It's possible you've chosen "Beat to Death," the slowest. In order, they are: Quick & Dirty, Standard, Greater Accuracy, Beat to Death.

Don
    I've choose Greater Accuracy as the setting for generating indices. I didn't expect Greater Accuracy to be that slow. Is there any way to make it faster?

Quote Originally Posted by seriousplayer View Post
    I've choose Greater Accuracy as the setting for generating indices. I didn't expect Greater Accuracy to be that slow. Is there any way to make it faster?
    Norm has said before that there is no "threads" option because index generation does not benefit from it.
    Maman died today. Or yesterday maybe, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by muckz View Post
    Norm has said before that there is no "threads" option because index generation does not benefit from it.
    I do recall that norm said there is no threads option for index generation. That is why I post this thread to see if there is any other options/settings that could speed up my index generations. For every single index selected (Hard H/S, Soft H/S, Hard DD, Soft DD, Split and Surrender) to be generated it takes three days for the generations to be completed when "Greater Accuracy and Beat to Death" option is selected.

Blog Entries

Are you selecting all indices? That would make no sense. Most indices are completely useless. And the useless ones take far, far more time as it attempts to create an index that is useful when one doesn't exist.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Are you selecting all indices? That would make no sense. Most indices are completely useless. And the useless ones take far, far more time as it attempts to create an index that is useful when one doesn't exist.
    Norm,

Yes I am selecting all indices. I am generating indices for a single and double deck game so adding more indices will increase win rate and SCORE. When you say CVDATA trying to create an useful index when one doesn't exist will it affect the N0?

Blog Entries

Indices like 12v7 or splitting fives simply don't exist. Indices like spliting aces vs 6 or doubling 11 v 6 exist, but have no measuarble effect on N0. Indeed, the majority of indices are completely useless. If you ask for these indices, CVData will try to find one. But, because such indices would be extremely high or low, it takes vastly longer to try to find them. This is partuclarly true for splits. In a normal game, you are never going to split dueces against a ten and will always split eights against a six. However, CVData cannot assume this because it may not be true for some oddball rule or partial hole-carding or partial next-carding scenario.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Question: I get so use to using Surrender >= Value and not Surrender < Value. For Surrender < Value I surrender whenever the indices is below the value, correct?

Blog Entries

Surrender when the count is below the index in that case.

Knowing the indices for all situations may be useful for cover purposes. You could make a wrong play (but one good for cover) when the count is not that far off from the index. Just a thought...

A question: by selecting all indices, can important indices (such as the Ill18) be affected by the interrelationships among other indices that are being calculated by CVData?

In other words, theoretically, if I tell CVData to create one specific index or all of them at a time, will this specific index be the same after both simulations are done?

I hope I made myself clear.

Thanks!
    Life's true face is the skull.” - Nikos Kazantzakis

Blog Entries

Yes, indices affect other indices, and if you generate more indices, some might change slightly. Of course, the change will only be correct if you use the additional indices. And extreme indices will only change other extreme indices.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Of course, the change will only be correct if you use the additional indices.
    I had the (wrong) impression that by generating all indices at a time I would get more accurate indices for any selected subset that I would actually use in practice.

Now I see that all I did was waste time and decrease my processor's life

Thanks Norm!
    Life's true face is the skull.” - Nikos Kazantzakis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast