Thread: Insurance count for playing decisions

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Insurance count for playing decisions

Hello again, I have had some success recently with my tencount/hi-lo 16 hours logged and up $1250. Variance is on my side at the moment but I have to give a lot of credit due to the ten count. hi-lo TC would be on 1 most of the time for insurance calls and the ten count would be on a positive and I won it %80 percent of the time.

I have been reading about the Tarzan count lately and how the typically neutral cards are good for playing decisions. I could be far off on the theory on this one but I figured since the Ten count counts all the neutral cards woulden't one be able to make index plays like hitting 13v16 and enforcing a wild gambler act at the same time. So far empirical knowledge tells me the count is usually up because of the uncounted neutral cards not counted in Hi-Lo.

The use of cards for playing decisions vary by match up (what the specific hand is like X,YvZ or less specifically a total versus a dealer upcard). For this reason inclusion in the main count will help some matchups and hurt others. It depends on the matchup and how the cards are counted in your count. When they are counted separately they can be weighted properly for a count adjustment for the play. You will get a benefit from certain matchups in the main count but it is already in the index play for that count. Knowing which indices are strong and which are weak for your count is useful information. A strong index will accumulate EV quickly after the index is exceeded and lose it quickly if you employ it early due to a high correlation of count tags to the playing EOR's of the match up. A weak index will have little gain or loss as you move away from the index.

Thank you for your insight T3. I'll start tinkering today on CVBJ with index plays with low EV and drill doubling or hitting hands when the ten count is high and the hi-lo is on zero true count just to experiment. I am curious to find out if any count mixed with the insurance count can be taken one step further while also employing some wild plays as camouflage without loss of EV.

Well the ten count isn't bad for playing because often the biggest thing to determine a play is the concentration of tens in the remaining cards to be played. This is true as a generalization but fails when you move to specific matchups.