Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discussion battle

Banned or Suspended

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Discussion battle

I guess we can add EV, to the list of things that I do or think about a little differently than conventional wisdom. Other things in that list would be thoughts on count, simplicity, definition of a betting unit to name a few.

I just want to make it clear, that I am just sharing my thoughts on things and sharing the way I handle certain things. I am not saying my way is the right way. On some of these topics there really is no right and wrong. It’s just different ways of handling or thinking about things. You find what works for you (or based on my year so far this year, maybe what isn’t working).

Anyway, I feel like many of these discussions deteriorate into a who’s right and who’s wrong type battle, and I really don’t think it is necessarily like that. Just different approaches and ways of thinking about things.
    Last edited by KJ; 07-11-2014 at 10:33 AM.

I visit this forum for the sole purpose of learning as much about the game of Blackjack as I can. I look at things differently than most. AP's take time to share their knowledge, experiances, etc.. I read these post and look only for answers and ways to improve my game strategy. I don't see the personal attacks, as others might. I ignor these things. Interputaion can over whelm the mind and it does. I don't view these post as Battles, more like debates. Everyone can be right and wrong. What's important is that we can all learn something from them. In the Long Run it will make some of us winners. I've learned somethiong good from each of you. Thank You! Please keep contributing.

It is funny that so many arguments can arise from the simple game of Blackjack.

I'll add a few:

Slash and burn vs Longevity

Unrated vs Rated

Hat vs No hat

Big buy in vs Small buy in

Big personality vs Quietly unnoticed

Alcohol vs No Alcohol

Cover vs No Cover

Maybe we should split up in teams and have a debate at an undisclosed location. Norm could be the moderator and declare a winner .

In all seriousness, discussion is healthy and informing. However, there is a point to where both sides should agree to disagree. These arguments become too personal at times. Many times these discussions are just semantics.

So how many hours did everyone get in this month and how many units did you all win?

DM
    Don't judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes, by then you are a mile away and have his shoes.

Arguments? I thought those were just 'heated discussions.'

This thread is going to bring too many disagreements. Close it now! JK :-)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hitA7 View Post
    This thread is going to bring too many disagreements. Close it now! JK :-)
    I disagree.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Banned or Suspended

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ View Post
    I guess we can add EV, to the list of things that I do or think about a little differently than conventional wisdom. Other things in that list would be thoughts on count, simplicity, definition of a betting unit to name a few.

I just want to make it clear, that I am just sharing my thoughts on things and sharing the way I handle certain things. I am not saying my way is the right way. On some of these topics there really is no right and wrong. It’s just different ways of handling or thinking about things. You find what works for you (or based on my year so far this year, maybe what isn’t working).

Anyway, I feel like many of these discussions deteriorate into a who’s right and who’s wrong type battle, and I really don’t think it is necessarily like that. Just different approaches and ways of thinking about things.
    Good grief, about time you understood that, now you and exoter can admit defeat and close this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke8 View Post
    I visit this forum for the sole purpose of learning as much about the game of Blackjack as I can. I look at things differently than most. AP's take time to share their knowledge, experiances, etc.. I read these post and look only for answers and ways to improve my game strategy. I don't see the personal attacks, as others might. I ignor these things. Interputaion can over whelm the mind and it does. I don't view these post as Battles, more like debates. Everyone can be right and wrong. What's important is that we can all learn something from them. In the Long Run it will make some of us winners. I've learned somethiong good from each of you. Thank You! Please keep contributing.
    Bingo. I come here for the knowledge these guys have while I learn the ropes of the system, meanwhile (as it turns out), I have a ton of information to add myself, which is awesome. I've got a fairly unique position as a player that most don't have, I've also got a similar perspective to those still "coming up" that I feel I can relate to with most, and the knowledge here from the truly wise is just priceless for guys like us.

Quote Originally Posted by DM21 View Post
    It is funny that so many arguments can arise from the simple game of Blackjack.

I'll add a few:

Slash and burn vs Longevity

Unrated vs Rated

Hat vs No hat

Big buy in vs Small buy in

Big personality vs Quietly unnoticed

Alcohol vs No Alcohol

Cover vs No Cover

Maybe we should split up in teams and have a debate at an undisclosed location. Norm could be the moderator and declare a winner .

In all seriousness, discussion is healthy and informing. However, there is a point to where both sides should agree to disagree. These arguments become too personal at times. Many times these discussions are just semantics.

So how many hours did everyone get in this month and how many units did you all win?

DM
    I AM SO DOWN!!!!!!! I love a good debate and I'd absolutely volunteer for this lol

Back on topic, I love the list you have there, because it really hits on so many parts of what we do that are inherently individual and subjective. While the premise of the game remains the same for all, its small iterations of the relationship to the game that many of us agree or disagree on, and it gets heated because each of those iterations carries a "personal" approach to each of our games'.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenKinG View Post
    Good grief, about time you understood that, now you and exoter can admit defeat and close this thread
    Defeat in what? You were the one that disagreed that at the end of the day its about Hands per hour, and Hands Played, that eventually started the whole debate in the first place.

Sounds like we have teams drawing for this hypothetical debate, I'll gladly oppose you ZK, and take KJ on my side

Quote Originally Posted by DM21 View Post
    I have been making up for lost time and getting lots of hours in lately. I have had great results in the first half of the year getting up 240 max bets . That's 1440 advantage units or 3600 min bets. I am not sure if its adding the multidimensional bet variation that bets different amounts for the same TC depending on deck composition or just a great run of cards but I have already won 60% more than I usually do in a year just in the first half of this year without playing as much as I usually do. I added a twist to my cover betting that has brought me lots of chips and made my spread appear to be smaller. In theory it should cost me money but the benefit seems to outweigh the small theoretical cost. The last month has accounted for almost half of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    ...I added a twist to my cover betting that has brought me lots of chips and made my spread appear to be smaller....
    please expand on this...how does your "twist" to cover plays bring "lots of chips"?..really interesting concept...cover that's +++++EV...perhaps write a book..

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    .cover that's +++++EV...p
    It's not plus EV. It is all done when you are betting at a disadvantage. It is not for the open forum.

As far as cover concerns, I'd be interested to know what the true dollar value of taking a card in a low count is.
    Maman died today. Or yesterday maybe, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    please expand on this...how does your "twist" to cover plays bring "lots of chips"?..really interesting concept...cover that's +++++EV...perhaps write a book..
    No kidding, please expand.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    It's not plus EV. It is all done when you are betting at a disadvantage. It is not for the open forum.
    It can't truly be that ground breaking, can it? To keep it off an "open" forum? And please don't tell me that you're playing on a 21+3/RM table and tossing out sidebets in negative to cover lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast