Thread: Did dealer mistake lead to a mistake by me?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Question Did dealer mistake lead to a mistake by me?

The game is 8 deck S17 LS DOA. I recently had a situation where the dealer skipped one of the players so the option was given to all of us to back out of the hand. I had a $400 bet up and after all cards were dealt the REKO RC was +9 (approx. 5 1/2 decks had been played so we were near the end of the shoe). I had 11 and the dealer's up card was a ten. I opted to stay in for the doubling opportunity (with much glee in my heart) and the dealer then checked for blackjack. You guessed it...he had blackjack, so I lost my original bet. My question is about my decision if this should happen to me again. Did I make the right move, or should I have backed out of the hand? How would I go about figuring out the answer to this type of question? Thank you to everyone that answers.

Here is a useful chart for excercising options:
    http://wizardofodds.com/games/blackjack/appendix/5/

I would have backed out but I may be giving up EV. The chart assumes no dealer BJ. 12 times I win on average 0.1797 and one time I lose 1. Adjusted for dealer BJ the EV is almost +0.089 of your bet. With an option I like to keep stronger hands than that matchup but I am bucking the math here. The EV I am giving up is $70 not considering the count. The math says to stay in. I like a made 20 or a strong hand against a dealer stiff to stay in the hand with an option. You probably did the right thing, I am favoring risk aversion by choosing not to risk $800 to get that $70 in EV. When I say it, it sounds like I should do it. My decision would ultimately rest on more info, from the ace side count. If you know the dealer doesn't have BJ it is much easier to stay in the hand. If you know whether a BJ is more or less likely than the normal distribution of aces that info can be what you base you decision on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    My decision would ultimately rest on more info, from the ace side count.
    LOL. The first thought that entered my mind when he flipped over the blackjack was "I wonder if a side count of Aces would have saved me from this decision?"

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by BJPloppy View Post
    LOL. The first thought that entered my mind when he flipped over the blackjack was "I wonder if a side count of Aces would have saved me from this decision?"

A side count of aces in an 8 deck game,,,^^^^^^^,if folded into the count I say no, if seperate as I do in DD, possibly.

O

Quote Originally Posted by Ouchez View Post
    A side count of aces in an 8 deck game,,,^^^^^^^,if folded into the count I say no, if seperate as I do in DD, possibly.

O
    How do you fold it into the count? is it a non-ace reckoned ... and then you just count it in ? if so , how would the balance work ?

Separate would indicate surplus and deficient , and I see your logic in the answer ; just wondering how the other system would work ?
    “It seemed to me ... that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane.

I would have stayed in.
    The Cash Cow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouchez View Post
    I agree. An ace sidecount in an 8D game is like pissing into the wind.
    You made the right play. Any time a double is called for, it's a +EV play.