See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Halftime report

Banned or Suspended

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Halftime report

Well, we have hit the midpoint of 2014. Time flies as the saying goes.

My blackjack numbers are down for the first half of the year. I am currently running below 50% of expectation for my amount of play and on top of that my actual amount of play is down from previous years. I spent a good deal of time training a partner early in the year which didn't pan out and just consumed a lot of time. If I were to match my first half BJ results in the second half of the year, It would be my worst year since I relocated to Vegas 5 years ago and my BJ results would total about 40% of what I have averaged over the last 2 years. But even that would be OK, with me. These numbers would still be far better than I hoped for when I began my career 11 years ago.

I don't want to make it sound like I have resigned myself to having a down year. Quite the contrary. I expect a big second half. I always am expecting big things. And now in my 11th year I have come to KNOW that anything can happen at any time in this game. Hell Last year, I had a 6 figure run in a span of 5 weeks. Those 5 weeks ended up accounting for 90% of my years total. Again, anything can happen at anytime.

Outside of BJ, my life is very good. I am healthy, recently got the 'all clear' after some minor surgeries earlier in the year to remove some melanoma tumors. My younger brother graduated college last month and is spending the summer with me. Maybe longer than summer. He is figuring things out, or whatever. I know he thinks he wants to AP for a living. I am kind of hoping he decides against it. But we will deal with that when the time comes. In the meantime, I am enjoying having him around and spending time with him, making up for lost years and really getting to know him again.

So, that's about it. Life rolls on. Hope everyone is doing well and finding/making time to enjoy life along the way.

Peace

KJ

[QUOTE=KJ;135324]Well, we have hit the midpoint of 2014. Time flies as the saying goes.

My blackjack numbers are down for the first half of the year. I am currently running below 50% of expectation for my amount of play and on top of that my actual amount of play is down from previous years. I spent a good deal of time training a partner early in the year which didn't pan out and just consumed a lot of time. If I were to match my first half BJ results in the second half of the year, It would be my worst year since I relocated to Vegas 5 years ago and my BJ results would total about 40% of what I have averaged over the last 2 years. But even that would be OK, with me. These numbers would still be far better than I hoped for when I began my career 11 years ago.

KJ: If you were to graph the 11 years in Las Vegas, would you say there is an incline upwards or downwards? They say that heat has increased and games have gotten poorer so one would think income would decline as well. Do you see patterns? If you go by months,do you see higher income in winter months and less in summer or vice versa? Do you win more on holiday weekends or less crowded weekends?

You write that you are doing better than your original expectations 11 years ago? Is it because you have become a better player and in what areas?

Good idea getting education in case he finds the ap lifestyle does not work out.. would he have his own BR or play with you on a team on a joint br? is it possible to play on a team with siblings?
    Last edited by 22playing21; 07-02-2014 at 06:24 PM.

Glad to hear you are doing well KJ. I nope you and your brother have a blast together for however long you can share each others company. Try not to kill each other. Some of my brothers would be fun but some might be more of a fight waiting to happen.

My first half of the year has been great. I haven't played near as much as in previous years but my year is the best yet despite far fewer hours. I am setting my sights on 6 figures annually but that probably won't happen until next year. You never know though. If I get more hours in and this keeps up this may be a 6 figure year. I have been trying to win at least $2K each week. I missed 6 weeks in a row without any play and lost a few hundred one week but have come in with much bigger wins than $2K per week and am almost always above $2K a week without playing that much. I have been pleasantly surprised with the steady increase in BR. Hope I don't get that rude wake up call from reality. It has been a very easy year to take swing wise. The worst swing was losing my substantial profits (a lot more than $2K) on the last day of a trip. It was not a trip hit to the BR. That was the week I lost a few hundred. It was one of those days you always get an ace when you double your 11 and a face when you hit your stiff. If by some lucky chance you got a 20 the dealer hit to 21. It lasted almost all day.

Best variance to each of you. May you continually come in above EV.
    Last edited by Three; 07-02-2014 at 05:27 PM.

Banned or Suspended

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post

KJ: If you were to graph the 11 years in Las Vegas, would you say there is an incline upwards or downwards? They say that heat has increased and games have gotten poorer so one would think income would decline as well. Do you see patterns? If you go by months,do you see higher income in winter months and less in summer or vice versa? Do you win more on holiday weekends or less crowded weekends?

You write that you are doing better than your original expectations 11 years ago? Is it because you have become a better player and in what areas?
    ZeeBabar, I have only been in Vegas 4 and a half years (5 years in Dec). The first part of my career was on the east coast mostly playing Atlantic City. I know that you are contemplating relocating, and really don't want my experiences to influence you too much. I think I have done that with a few guys already.

But I will say that I have seen no real decline in BJ during my time here. I haven't noticed an increase in 6-5 games. They were dominate at the lower level, evil empire games and still are. They also were big downtown and I have actually seen a decline in 6-5 down there as some were pulled when 'the D' replaced Fitzgeralds at least one other downtown property GN followed suit and removed some 6-5 games at that same time. Also, no spike in CSM games. If anything a decline as a few places have switched over to ASM. BUT, there has been a slight decline in total number of straight BJ tables, as some have been replaced by other games with a higher house edge and some have some sort of side bet which slows the game down.

I have basically played the same level my entire time here, so there has been no dramatic increase in my results. My first few years here, my BJ results were in the mid to high 5 figure range and the last couple have averaged right at the 6 figure mark, but that is skewed by my best year, last year and only year that my BJ results have toped 6 figures, so I don't think that a fair comparison. A better measuring stick in my mind is the EV that I generate and that has been pretty constant my whole time here in the upper 5 figures. My big improvement has been that I have hit that with slightly less play over the past few years, meaning my game has grown stronger or at least more efficient and a large part of that has to do with what I have learned and continue to learn from my participation on these two blackjack sites that you participate on. And on this topic, a little unsolicited advice, if I may, you might try antagonizing those members that you can learn so much from a little less on both sites.

There are no patterns to anything. Everything is too small of a sample size to go looking in that direction or put any kind of meaning behind any patterns that you might see. Holiday and big event weekends provide an opportunity to attack some games differently and attack some games not in my regular rotation. The opportunity is there to bet bigger and still play within the shadows, but crowded conditions, means slower play and less rounds per hour, so it evens out. I don't really generate more EV during those times, just generate it differently. And negatives associated with those periods, crowded conditions, more drunkenness and stupidness and even more thieves, pickpockets and scammers. So while those periods provide an opportunity to expand my attack beyond my regular model and rotation, it isn't one of my favorite periods to play. Like playing graveyard periodically, you do so to mix it up.

My comment about expectations was a little foggy. I actually had expectations when I started. Unrealistic expectations to make a million dollars over my first 10 years. I do average 6 figures now, from my AP play which includes, not only my BJ play but a couple supplemental things, but those expectations were very unrealistic for that time and the level of play I started with and I did not come close. So what I meant by that comment is that if the second half of this year were to mirror the first and my total earnings fell back to the mid five figure range I would be ok with that. That is still a step up from where I came, (a less than 20 thousand dollar retail job). If it had turned out that mid 5 figure range was my top potential, I would have been ok with that. Fortunately, for me, I've been trending much better than that.
    Last edited by KJ; 07-02-2014 at 05:12 PM.

KJ
    My ytd percentages closely mirror yours - still not so bad after a horrendous start. I also expect a strong back half.

KJ,

How many hours do you generally average per day "at work"?

Do you have days where you really don't want to play, and take these off? Do you have a strict schedule you follow to keep yourself disciplined?
    Play 7 days a week? 5 days?

Quote Originally Posted by KJ View Post

Outside of BJ, my life is very good. I am healthy, recently got the 'all clear' after some minor surgeries earlier in the year to remove some melanoma tumors.
    Now there's some positive EV!

I haven't noticed an increase in 6-5 games.
    Forget about Venetian/Palazzo of late?

Holiday and big event weekends provide an opportunity to attack some games differently and attack some games not in my regular rotation. The opportunity is there to bet bigger and still play within the shadows, but crowded conditions, means slower play and less rounds per hour, so it evens out. I don't really generate more EV during those times, just generate it differently. And negatives associated with those periods, crowded conditions, more drunkenness and stupidness and even more thieves, pickpockets and scammers. So while those periods provide an opportunity to expand my attack beyond my regular model and rotation, it isn't one of my favorite periods to play. Like playing graveyard periodically, you do so to mix it up.
    I am interested on hearing how you play on holidays since it is so crowded that some time your can't find an empty table. My experience when I play on the holiday is the table full up quickly when I came across an empty table. Unless I can go from 10-500 spread in play all conditions in a shoe game then I might wong out and table hop. Most of the time I was force to play one spot during holidays because there is so many people.