Thread: After many months of study

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

After many months of study

I won't give any details away on an open forum but all the studying, sims, reading books, and gleaning nuggets of advice from this forum, I believe over the last few weeks a plan has finally come together for getting down a large spread at shoe games. This has been my biggest hurdle. How to get the spread down without telegraphing AP.

Almost feel kind of foolish that its taken this long, because its not really difficult, it just takes some time to understand some nuances of the advantage game.

Admittedly, I haven't put the plan to full effect as of yet, but am bolstered by the prospect.

In the final week or so before my Vegas trip I wasn't feeling confident in the shoe game, so I went back to DD and played that in Vegas. I believe now I can have both games in my arsenal. In addition, both games will have a very similar "look", so I should appear to be just a gambler, not changing much between games.

Quote Originally Posted by ohbehave View Post
    I won't give any details away on an open forum but all the studying, sims, reading books, and gleaning nuggets of advice from this forum, I believe over the last few weeks a plan has finally come together for getting down a large spread at shoe games. This has been my biggest hurdle. How to get the spread down without telegraphing AP.

Almost feel kind of foolish that its taken this long, because its not really difficult, it just takes some time to understand some nuances of the advantage game.

Admittedly, I haven't put the plan to full effect as of yet, but am bolstered by the prospect.

In the final week or so before my Vegas trip I wasn't feeling confident in the shoe game, so I went back to DD and played that in Vegas. I believe now I can have both games in my arsenal. In addition, both games will have a very similar "look", so I should appear to be just a gambler, not changing much between games.
    The biggest thing you have to get over is the "paranoia". At the red chip level, they could not care less what your spread is unless you park yourself at the table, have a thousand dollars in chips piled up in front of you. All newbies go through this period of paranoia, where every time you make eye contact with a pit person or anytime he comes to your table, you think he knows you are an AP. Don't worry at all. Looking back, biggest mistakes I made were to underbet, where I thought putting $60 at a $10 table would cause me trouble. Today, I never get heat even when my lowest bet is $10 and max is $100. You just do not want to go from $10-$100 but if you go from $10 to $50, then to $100, no problems in most 99% of places. It's the $25 or higher that heat really lives.

Banned or Suspended

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

If you were not feeling confident in the shoe game then you made the right decision playing DD. I don't think you should be burdened just for putting a spread out in a shoe game. Just do it and try to relax your mind without putting the unneeded stress on yourself. Your not the first and you won't be the last. That's a hurdle a you can overcome with practice on sims or have someone deal you out in a home environment. That's why it's called practice. If the dealer or pit wants to give you any lip... just point to the nearest blackjack machine and say, "There's your replacement, do you want a game?"
    Last edited by Blitzkrieg; 06-18-2014 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    The biggest thing you have to get over is the "paranoia". At the red chip level, they could not care less what your spread is unless you park yourself at the table, have a thousand dollars in chips piled up in front of you. All newbies go through this period of paranoia, where every time you make eye contact with a pit person or anytime he comes to your table, you think he knows you are an AP. Don't worry at all. Looking back, biggest mistakes I made were to underbet, where I thought putting $60 at a $10 table would cause me trouble. Today, I never get heat even when my lowest bet is $10 and max is $100. You just do not want to go from $10-$100 but if you go from $10 to $50, then to $100, no problems in most 99% of places. It's the $25 or higher that heat really lives.
    To add to that part about paranoia and making eye contact with PB's, I make it a habit to learn their name quickly, if I don't know it already, and if I see them looking at me or trying to watch my eyes/face, I'll look right back at them with a stern face and say something like "Jerry, will you tell this guy to stop drawing 20's on me? I can't afford to keep going at this rate", or "Hey Jerry, make sure you got me in there betting like a mad man for 1 million a hand" and a little wink, all depends on whether I'm playing rated at my training grounds or not.

Once I "grow up" a little and get my "education", I'll venture out into some better territories and use almost the same exact "defense", and it works pretty well too, because they are expecting you to glance away, immediately look down, cash out, or go back to the cards when they take an interest in you, and get easily thrown off when you start making conversation with them. A lot of the guys around me that work the floor seem easily rattled by my conversations with them, because you can tell that they are interested in how I'm staying rather even with them, but can't for the life of them ever give the benefit of the doubt to a suspected card counter if he stops looking at the cards and makes polite conversation with them. Or maybe its just the guys around me that don't understand I can count by card, hand, or fragments of a table with just a momentary glance.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
    If the dealer or pit wants to give you any lip... just point to the nearest blackjack machine and say, "There's your replacement, do you want a game?"
    Don't think I'd ever actually use that but its pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by Exoter175 View Post
    To add to that part about paranoia and making eye contact with PB's, I make it a habit to learn their name quickly, if I don't know it already, and if I see them looking at me or trying to watch my eyes/face, I'll look right back at them with a stern face and say something like "Jerry, will you tell this guy to stop drawing 20's on me? I can't afford to keep going at this rate", or "Hey Jerry, make sure you got me in there betting like a mad man for 1 million a hand" and a little wink, all depends on whether I'm playing rated at my training grounds or not.
    Great way to handle it.

But rather referring to a very large spread thats almost invisible, even to a tape review, with only a small cover cost.

But rather referring to a very large spread thats almost invisible, even to a tape review, with only a small cover cost.
    A dollar for your thought!!
    Life's true face is the skull.” - Nikos Kazantzakis

No one really gives a shit at red chip like everyone said, happy hunting