Hi all,

A coworker who I mentioned in an earlier post has finally decided that he would like to properly learn card counting. I got him started with Hi Lo and he seemed a quick study, easily able to effectively count down a shoe, backcount without drawing too much negative attention, etc. We hit the pits recently and I saw him wong in to a high count. I had a holdem tournament to get to so I left him to his own devices, as he seemed to be doing fine. During the tournament's dinner break I noticed a few texts from him stating that he had blown 16 K, indicating that he was playing far above what we agreed would be a safe betting ramp for him. I met up with him and of course he was super down on himself, admitting that he lost control. I sympathized with him, mentioning that I had some tilt issues of my own when I got started.

He asked for advice on how to keep discipline during negative variance. I told him what worked for me (it's actually rather embarrassing: I would text my mother every time I sat down to a table, and mention the true count. I would do so again upon leaving the table, and say how far up/down I was . Hey it worked--I can't shame my dear old mum by wild gambling!). Obviously this method is not for everyone, so I am appealing to you, as APers. What do you do to keep tilt at bay?

Thanks in advance, and be gentle with the Mama's boy cracks