Thread: Monkey See, Monkey Do

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Monkey See, Monkey Do

The other night when I was playing I noticed that one other player at the table would wait for me to bet before he placed his bet. Has anyone else experienced this. If I increased my bet, he would increase his. If I lowered my bet he would lower his. It made me a little nervous.

FerrisB

Keep Calm, Grind On

Quote Originally Posted by FerrisB View Post
    The other night when I was playing I noticed that one other player at the table would wait for me to bet before he placed his bet. Has anyone else experienced this. If I increased my bet, he would increase his. If I lowered my bet he would lower his. It made me a little nervous.

FerrisB

Keep Calm, Grind On
    last year while playing at palace station, an elderly gentleman announced to the table with an announcer voice "hey!...this young man [pointing at me] is counting cards!!"

I ignored him, what didn't "help" is that it seemed like i had cleared two rows of chips from the dealer's rack. I finally calmly said to the nice old man "hey sir, if you think i'm that good, rather than lucky, you should do what i do.." and the table all laughed. Lo and behold, then next time i went to bet two hands he quickly divided his whole stack into two and went all in LOL...he lost, then quietly took out of his pocket a crumbled up benjamin and continued to play table min, without any comments. i left shortly after that.

But if someone is mimicking your bet and just keeps quiet, that's a lil different. The only other couple times that has happened to me is when i have bumped into other APs at a table. In that case, either I leave, or they leave shortly afterwards.

What i would do, if your personality fits and you can pull it off, accuse him of "hey! why are you copying my moves?!...Just kidding!" and laugh it off..see what he says.

Good luck!

Once I had other players copying my insurance bets during what I thought to be a short session of double deck. I had made a large number of correct insurance decisions in a 40 minute period. The next hand after I noticed the other players copying my insurance decisions, the pit supervisor pushed my bet out of the circle and invited me to play craps or baccarat.

I'm now of the opinion that if anyone is mimicking bets, AP or otherwise, it's time to exit.