Thread: Counting drills doubt.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Counting drills doubt.

Hey guys!

Either I am missing something or I have very strange needs when it comes to counting drills.

What I want is to be able to count down one deck (or 2 or 3...) OUT OF six decks in CV.

Let me try to better explain it...
    When I set the quick count or the running count drill to one deck, I will be counting one full deck, so I KNOW FOR SURE the final count. In my case using REKO, for one deck it is +4 as you know.
    This helps me a lot while counting, because as the end of the deck approaches and, for instance, the count is very low, I know for sure that it is going up, so I antecipate low cards.
    What I would like is to get is a random deck out of six decks to count, so that I have no idea what will be the final count.

Also, in my cell phone App, if I set the quick count to one deck, I can adjust the IRC to -20, in order to practice for six decks, but in the desktop CV, I don't find this option. If I set the couting drill to one deck, my IRC goes to 0.

What exactly am I missing?

Thanks!!

Blog Entries

Sorry, that makes no sense to me at all.

The IRC can be set in the strategy, or using the Force IRC option to adjust both the IRC and indices. In CV, that option is on Strategies-Playing Strategies (Complex).
    Last edited by Norm; 02-14-2014 at 12:11 PM.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Sorry, that makes no sense to me at all.

The IRC can be set in the strategy, or using the Force IRC option to adjust both the IRC and indices. In CV, that option is on Strategies-Playing Strategies (Complex).
    Thanks a lot Norm! I never go to drills from within the game, so I missed it completely. When one goes to drills directly there is no option to set IRC (as far as I can see).

But what about my first doubt, you think it makes no sense? Is it my English or you really think it is useless to have such a random deck?
    I noticed this "problem" doing actual physical drills with my deck of cards. I always know the final count, so it is like cheating.
    I then went to CV to find a way to do that there, but couldn't find.

I don't know, it kinda made sense to me, but I am pretty sure if it isn't in such a thorough software, the problem is definitely in me.

I will buy more decks of cards anyway to try that...

Thanks!

Blog Entries

You can set it not to show the last card or two. That would avoid the cheating.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

You can set it not to show the last card or two. That would avoid the cheating.
    Yes, but that's what I do with the physical drills as well, as you suggest in Modern Blackjack. But even so I know where the count is going in the end, so I still got "the edge".

What works best for me is to use the "peek" command in the Quick count drill. I set it to 6 decks and peek after a pre-defined time which I set in my cellphone countdown timer.
    In this way I can count a specified number of cards controlling Deal speed and the amount of time I count. Then I can record my drills properly and register my evolution.

Sorry Norm, you did the most thorough piece of software about a given subject I have ever seen in my life and even so I find something to complain about.
    You really need to be Gandhi-like to put up with these people huh?!

Best!!

Hey Norm!

I found a simple solution to my problem that maybe you might find it a little relevant and possibly consider it for a future version of CV.
    In the Running count drill "Resolution" buttons we can set it to test us in intervals of 1, 8, 16 and 36 cards. If you could, instead, allow us to set any given amount of cards to be tested, we could test ourselves in counting down 1 (52 cards), 2 (104 cards) or any given number of decks up to the maximum number of decks we set in the "Controls/Decks" button.

That's what I meant by being able to "count down one deck (or 2 or 3...) OUT OF six decks". In this way, after one deck we have no clue of what will be the final count.

Do you think it makes any sense?

Thank you very much for your time.

Best!

Blog Entries

Just have to find room on the option screen.

Just have to find room on the option screen.
    True But, if I may ask/suggest.... why did you choose 8, 16 and 36?? Only now I noticed that 36 is NOT 2x16... is there a specific reason?

You could possibly substitute one of the options for this more flexible idea if, of course, there aren't any specific reasons for 8,16,36 that I don't know about.

Just a thought....

Thank you very much for the attention!

Best!

Oh.. OK 36 is half a deck, but then why 8 or 16??

My God!! 36 is NOT half a deck, I am crazy sorry

Blog Entries

These aren't exact values, but the center point of areas of randomness. I had no desire to give even parts of decks. Just random stopping points of varying magnitudes.

Now I understand the "about". Nice idea!!