See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Quotes

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Your comparing apples to oranges. Water is mostly surface area compared to spherical volume.
    Ya, thats what i was trying to say..Maybe i should of said "Surface Volume" instead of "Total Volume".. Its still hard to to believe that the Oceans only make up for 1/5000(.02%) of Earths total mass.. Thats mind numbing..
    http://bjstrat.net/cgi-bin/cdca.cgi

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Jackson View Post
    Ya, thats what i was trying to say..Maybe i should of said "Surface Volume" instead of "Total Volume".. Its still hard to to believe that the Oceans only make up for 1/5000(.02%) of Earths total mass.. Thats mind numbing..
    Surface area is the preferred term. It's about the units.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Jackson View Post
    Doesnt really matter how you say it. Water is very heavy for its volume, especially when compared to, for example, grass. But, so is Rock, lava, and likely, whatever else is in the earths core. The earths oceans only go down to a depth of 5-6 miles. The diameter of the earth is in the 8000 mile area.

So, for all intents and purposes, you are comparing square miles of the earths surface area (a=pi x r^2) against the enormity of the earth volume, approx 4/3 x pI r^3.

Water is very heavy for its volume
    If you compare it to a gas, but the earth sinks fast in water.

Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    If you compare it to a gas, but the earth sinks fast in water.
    Compared to many things, but no reason to get into that ridiculous side discussion. Better we should get off topic with jokes, innuendo and snitty snipes.

Blog Entries

Yeah, but think of the total surface area of all plants in the world.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

"life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.” - from Forrest Gump film... Love this one, so true.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    There is no such thing as coincidence. Gibbs' Rules #39, NCIS

Coincidences take a lot of planning. Malcolm Nance

Quote Originally Posted by 21frogman View Post
    There is no such thing as coincidence. Gibbs' Rules #39, NCIS

Coincidences take a lot of planning. Malcolm Nance
    Agreed. I generally don't believe in coincidences. When I say - what a coincidence, it is almost always said - tongue in cheek.

As is my general custom, after a large win, I usually go to the bathroom, secure an end stall, and reorganize my money, if necessary. On 1 particular vegas trip, the host lady was bugging me to get a card. I rebuffed her several times with the usual excuses. After cashing out, I went to the bathroom, as is my customary practice. When I left the washroom, host lady just happened to be 20 feet away from me. What a coincidence.

Agreed. I generally don't believe in coincidences. When I say - what a coincidence, it is almost always said - tongue in cheek.
    I tried to find something defining "coincidence in social settings" using Probability Theory; something such as " Multiply A (the probability of Freightman going to the bathroom after winning at BJ) X B (the probability of host lady waiting for him). If answer < .10, it is likely coincidence."
    I Don"t pretend to understand everything I read, but I didn't find the magic answer.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Blog Entries

"Truth is like poetry; and most people fucking hate poetry."

from The Big Short
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Blog Entries

"I'm a conundrum. Or an enigma. I forget which."

- James A. Owen

Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast