Thread: When buying in ...

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

When buying in ...

At a low limit game, especially at a small store you intend to play regularly and they don't already know you, would it be wise or unwise to say something to the floorperson as to your potential top bet when you plan to play well above the minimum (nearly all other players flat bet 1-2x min).

Basically getting the ok for that amount, even if you might give them a figure higher than your actual top bet, in an attempt to head off any surprises to the floor.

I'm not a high roller by any means but anything over 2-3x min stands out.

Sounds like by announcing your intentions, you just bring unwanted attention to yourself sooner. Either way, you would have you have a good act or use camo. Are you thinking that they will be giving you permission to spread and thus not bother watching?

Build your relationship friendly and slowly with your act. Have a plan that is flexible. Do not pull out the guns and blaze if you are going to play there often. do not ask about betting large as the eye might be called to watch you right away.

Its not a shoe game, the bets will ramp fast and furious, there is no way to avoid attention. In fact, I would want him to see the large bets rather than the small.

The idea was to give the illusion of betting higher than actually intended. When he sees the large bets he has a number in mind which he has signed off on but he never sees that number on the table thus he stays more relaxed and hopefully no calls to the eye.

This game has unusual conditions and is why I would be extra cautious with it (sorry to be vague but I can't give any details).

Thanks Baberuth.

Bet large and play slow when you sit down and pit comes over?

One way to deal with this is to back count and enter with big bets. Keeping a chip bank works well also. I like repeated cash buys as well ie buy in for 200 then bet half.

Under no circumstances should you buy in for say 500 then bet 10.

The feedback is helpful and appreciated. Will update after hitting this game.

say nothing. Be unremarkable and unmemorable. Buy in small and bet small until you get a big count and then act like you're going nuts and steam your way to fun and profits.