Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A total beginner's hello!

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Intermediate View Post
    Skull, one thing I wished I had done earlier in my career was to get some simulation software to use as a learning tool. I recommend CVBJ and CVCX. CVBJ has good drills and practice games with ways to monitor your accuracy and progress. Also, use the time between now and your LV trip to save up a good Bank Roll, and use CVCX to get a feel for your Risk of Ruin and Variance. You will find many of the games on the LV Strip that are worth playing may have minimums that are higher than you expected for the Risk you are willing to take. Finding good games that fit your bank is half the battle at the beginning level. I think many noobies rush out to play without considering their chances of getting wiped out, and a simple run of negative variance (despite perfect play) can emotionally and financially ruin a promising hobby/career.

Hi Intermediate and thank you very much for your advices!

I fully appreciate the importance of what you are saying. I have downloaded the demo versions of CVBJ and CVCX and I am planning to buy CVBJ in the first free weekend I have to practice. With respect to CVCX, the software seems to be amazing, but I kind of program a bit myself and I intend to make a few simulations on my own using MATLAB first. I am no programmer, but for me to really learn something and trust in my findings I need to code everything from the start. Of course, if I get too serious about this endeavor it will be a natural path to delve into CVCX (I don´t have quite the time right now).

I have used Monte Carlo simulations to assess risk of ruin and variance of quantitative trading systems (as a hobby), so I am a bit familiar with this sort of analysis. By the way, one great text I have exactly about this subject is Chapter 5 of Modeling Trading System Performance of Dr. Howard Bandy. For me his books are the best source for practical advice on quantitative trading systems design and evaluation and Chapter 5 is only about Blackjack! He uses Blackjack as a proxy to trading systems and to introduce the techniques he uses – mainly Monte Carlo simulations. His books taught me exactly the sort of thing that is contained in your kind advices to me. Great stuff!

Thank's a lot and all the best to you!

Quote Originally Posted by BJNewbee View Post
    Also get a copy of CBJN http://bj21.com/ads/cbjn1.shtml

You can just purchase the single issue for your trip. This gives you current conditions so you can plan ahead.

Good luck!

Hey BJNewbee! Great advice, thank you! I will for sure get a copy of the one single issue closest to my trip.
    I might even schedule the trip to the very beginning of the month to get the freshest reports.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Skull21 View Post
    Hey BJNewbee! Great advice, thank you! I will for sure get a copy of the one single issue closest to my trip.
    I might even schedule the trip to the very beginning of the month to get the freshest reports.

Thanks!
    One issue per is probably more than enough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12