See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Don S.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Question for Don S.

Hi Don,
    I recall a post you made (on BJ21?) about side-counting aces for insurance bets on a SD/DD game. I can't find it.
    Can you repeat it here? Also, would it be useful for doubling indices?
    Thanks.

System count Hi Lo?
    "Don't Cast Your Pearls Before Swine" (Jesus)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    Hi Don,
    I recall a post you made (on BJ21?) about side-counting aces for insurance bets on a SD/DD game. I can't find it.
    Can you repeat it here? Also, would it be useful for doubling indices?
    Thanks.
    When using an ace-adjustment side count for Hi-Lo insurance, the index is +3. The ace is counted in the wrong direction by Hi-Lo for insurance. We count -1, but, when you want to know if the dealer has a ten in the hole, anything that isn't a ten should be counted as +1; i.e., an ace is no different from, say, a four. So, we side count aces, and any imbalance from normal, for the amount of cards dealt, requires an adjustment to the RC of 2, either up or down, as the reversal from -1 to +1 is actually a running count of 2.

Let's take an example. You're playing DD, and one deck is gone. So, the RC and the TC will be the same. Your RC is +2, so, normally, you wouldn't insure. But, you've side counted five aces gone, while "normal" would be only four. There is a deficiency of one ace in the remaining cards, which favors your taking insurance. Adding 2 to the RC of 2 gives 4. Since the index is 3, you now would insure.

Another example. DD, but only 0.5 deck dealt; 1.5 remain. RC is +6. Normally, you would insure (6/1.5 = 4). But, you've counted only one ace in the first half deck, when there should be two. Now, there is an extra ace, which does NOT favor insurance. 6 - 2 = 4. 4/1.5 < 3, so you don't insure.

Homework: DD. 1.5 decks dealt (you should be so lucky!). RC = -2. You've seen all eight aces. What is the thought process? Do you insure?

Don

Hi ,Don I would like to know about how much better does this bring the ic from hi lo. 80+ ish for asc for ins. in hi lo ?

I've never seen a number, but you would have to imagine that it is in line with any of the ace-neutral counts that use a side count. When I used to play a lot of DD, I side-counted aces all the time, uniquely for a more accurate insurance decision (RPC). In my opinion, it's a lot of extra work for what is probably just a little extra gain.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Homework: DD. 1.5 decks dealt (you should be so lucky!). RC = -2. You've seen all eight aces. What is the thought process? Do you insure?
    Yes.

Betting TC -4

Insurance TC +4
    "One of these days in your travels, you are going to come across a guy with a nice brand new deck of cards, and this guy is going to offer to bet you that he can make the Jack of Spades jump out of the deck and squirt cider in your ear. But, son, do not take this bet, for if you do, as sure as you are standing there, you are going to end up with an ear full of cider."

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    (you should be so lucky!).
    Aussie beat me to it, but I agree with him.

Funny story for you regarding the quote from your post:
    I was recently playing a DD game and dealer simply left the cut card where I put it after moving the cards to the back. Sooo, I just cut thinner and thinner after each shuffle. I didn't want to get too greedy, so my thinnest cut was 10 cards and she left it there! Last hand, count was very high, so I spread to 2 hands, as I was bumping up against table max. She looked at me and said, "I think I'm going to have to shuffle. We don't have enough cards for 2 hands." So I pulled one hand back and said, "Is this better?" She dealt the cards and dealt herself a BJ (ace was the first card), which would have been mine on the second hand. All the other cards that came out, besides the Ace, were Ts.

Thanks for the explanation, Don.

why would we not count all the aces for insurance since all the aces are consider low cards for insurance purpose. Maybe the insurance index for hi lo was develop using a normal /even distribution of aces per deck?

21 forme first normal form gave me some info on ace side count on hi lo. I will try to find it for you.

"why would we not count all the aces for insurance"

What are you misunderstanding a side count of aces to be, other than counting all the aces??

Don

I am trying to say why are only the excess /deficit in the remaining deck is counted for insurance purpose?My guess is hi lo 's insurance index was created with a normal distribution of aces per pack .If an excess or deficit of aces is in the remaining cards ,that will change our decision on when to buy insurance. Yes??? Thanks Don.

Don,
    Another related question:
    Suppose you have 11 v A with one deck played in an H17 DD game. RC is -1. 6 aces have been played, including the one in the current hand. You would double, right?
    Same conditions with a 9 v 2 (6 aces played). Double?
    Reason I'm presenting this second scenario is in the first one, a T is what you want and an Ace is what you don't want. In the second case, either card would be helpful, with the Ace more so.

If you're going to side count aces for all strategy decisions, and not just insurance, which is worth much more than any other departure, you may as well abandon Hi-Lo and choose an ace-neutral count that, along with the side count, will give you a much more substantial return for your trouble.

Side counting aces with Hi-Lo, for all strategy departures, just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast