See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: To Norm: Apologies, Support, and a Suggestion

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

To Norm: Apologies, Support, and a Suggestion

To Norm: Apologies, Support, and a Suggestion

1. I want to extend my sincerest apologies to Norm and the moderators for my last few posts. I was just frustrated from all the nonsense posts, and disappointed from the lack of moderator control.

Since then, the nonsense seemed to have dropped off dramatically, at about the same time-frame as the shift to subscription-basis.

I do NOT apologize for the intention or sentiment in those posts. But in retrospect, I apologize for the choice of words.

2. I want to reiterate my support for Norm and the Forum. Looking at the massive improvement on the public side of the Forum, I can only imagine the "efficiency" and "gravitas" of the subscription side.

I had always believed in and tried to support Norm. Case-in-point, I have the complete set of CV products as well as the hardcover of Norm's Modern Blackjack I & II.

Unfortunately, I am being drawn to other commitments and thus will not be joining the subscription side for now.

3. One final suggestion to Norm:

There are some very valuable members in the Forum. From my perspective, they are bigplayer, KJ, Tthree, ZenMaster_Flash, ericfarmer, Dog Hand as well as the respected Blackjack authors. And a shout-out to Mr. White, njrich520, Nyne, and others.

If they have not yet subscribed (for whatever reason), it might be a good idea to extend them an invitation and a free subscription (even for just the first year).

I would like to express my gratitude to everyone who patiently answered my questions and helped me along the way.

See you guys later!
    Math Demon
    Last edited by Math Demon; 10-24-2013 at 07:44 PM.
    To NFL newbies: Please perform your own analysis. Confirm any stats presented. Draw your own conclusions.

Handicapping is EXTREMELY hard! All statistical evidence (and game insights) may indicate strongly a specific outcome, winner, or continuing trend; but a turn-over, a missed field goal, an erroneous call, a key injury, etc. can easily change the outcome, the margins, and/or the totals. Division rivalry games and games with playoff implications are highly unpredictable.

Blog Entries

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    No problem. Although I won't comment on who is on the subscriber side, I will say that the number of members after one week is 63. I don't know the ideal number. If it gets very large, I may increase the price; but grandfather current members. I doubt this will become a problem.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    No problem. Although I won't comment on who is on the subscriber side, I will say that the number of members after one week is 63. I don't know the ideal number. If it gets very large, I may increase the price; but grandfather current members. I doubt this will become a problem.
    Thanks Norm!

I don't think that publishing a list of subscribers serves a purpose vis-a-vis the members' right to privacy.

However, an occasional post about the number of subscribers, or even quoting it on the main page might be helpful.

As always, I wish you the best of luck!
    Math Demon

To NFL newbies: Please perform your own analysis. Confirm any stats presented. Draw your own conclusions.

Handicapping is EXTREMELY hard! All statistical evidence (and game insights) may indicate strongly a specific outcome, winner, or continuing trend; but a turn-over, a missed field goal, an erroneous call, a key injury, etc. can easily change the outcome, the margins, and/or the totals. Division rivalry games and games with playoff implications are highly unpredictable.

Hey Norm! Look what I found.

Blog Entries

First instincts are often best.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Although I won't comment on who is on the subscriber side, I will say that the number of members after one week is 63. I don't know the ideal number.

Norm,

There is the Pareto principle (also known as the "80–20 rule", the "law of the vital few"). It is a common rule of thumb in business; e.g., "80% of your sales come from 20% of your clients". It was named after Italian economist Vilfredo Pareto, who observed in 1906 that 80% of the land in Italy was owned by 20% of the population.

Looking at the Forum's main page: Members: 2,815 Active Members: 661 (23.48%)

My retarded mind projects 132-155 yearly subscribers (20%-23.48% of 661) possibly joining in the first 73-85 days (20%-23.48% of 365). Totally SWAG numbers.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_Wild-Ass_Guess

Also, get we get better smilies? I'm not sure when we would use these
    : .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..

Blog Entries

Like most web stats, Members is not very meaningful. They include a lot of drive-by attempted spammers. There are sites claiming 100,000 members with no posts.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Like most web stats, Members is not very meaningful. They include a lot of drive-by attempted spammers. There are sites claiming 100,000 members with no posts.

I am a simple man, Norm! I know nothing about web stats.

To estimate, what I would probably do is get the number of members that have at least, say, 5 posts. Multiply by 20%. This could be a good guess!

Better yet, excluding non-posting or banned members , sort the member names by "number of posts". The top 20% (of members with posts >= 5) should be close to your subscriber list.