Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paypal won't accept debit card

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Paypal won't accept debit card

Paypal is refusing my debit card, with the message "The card you entered cannot be used for this payment. Please enter a different credit or debit card number." I don't have another card to try. Is anyone else having this issue?

Edit: This is a Visa check card, possibly the same card number I used when I bought Norm's software.
    Last edited by Nyne; 10-20-2013 at 09:40 PM.

Banned or Suspended

Paypal accepted my debit card.

Some Visa cards won't authorize payments if they think or know it's a gambling site. But it should work with PayPal. Even debit visa cards won't work.
    Last edited by njrich; 10-20-2013 at 10:35 PM.
    Beware the fury of a patient man.

I've had that problem in the past depositing onto poker sites, but this shouldn't be coded as a gambling transaction.

Blog Entries

Should work as long as there is a CVV code and the address matches. Give me the numeric error code and I can look it up.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Turns out they have a record of when I tried to pay Ken Smith with the same card number. But they wanted my SSN and I wouldn't give it to them, so I never was able to get the payment to work. Now, the card number is attached to a non-confirmed Paypal account that I never wanted. They are telling me that I can't even delete my own Paypal account without providing them with my SSN. I confirmed every other detail to them (including the name of the hospital I was born in and the name of my first pet), but I have to provide my SSN to *close* the Paypal account. The same number I would not provide to open the account. As a result, that card number is basically toast for any Paypal transactions. So frustrating...

Blog Entries

This is the same service I've been using for over a decade for QFIT.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

I just don't understand why I can't close my own account without providing personal information beyond what was provided when I tried to set it up to begin with. I can verify literally every piece of personal information that they currently have on me, I could provide a copy of my DL and a scan of a utility bill as well, but they don't consider that adequate to confirm my identity. They basically don't believe I'm me unless I give them a piece of personal information (my SSN) that they don't already have. As a rule, I just don't provide my SSN to any website from my personal computer, and without doing that, my Paypal account (that I don't even want to have) is in limbo and cannot be closed out or confirmed and used. I'm a partner in a business that receives tens of thousands of dollars in payments annually through Paypal and this excruciating customer service experience makes me want to stop giving Paypal that business as well.

Blog Entries

Customer service is a concept from an earlier age.

Some years back I had a problem with PayPal too. I closed the bank account it was linked to just to be safe.
    The phishing emails were never ending and always asking for personal info to make sure your account was safe.
    Beware the fury of a patient man.

I doubt they would ask for your SSN number unless they already had it in their system. And I believe they would only have that if you also had one of their branded credit products. You can check under the profile tab at paypal.com to see if SSN number is stored.

Nope, they needed the SSN to verify my identity 2 years ago. I never gave it to them so my account is "limited". Under the resolution center, they want a copy of my DL and a utility bill (not a problem) and my SSN (problem). I can't even close the account until i get it out of limited status and I can't do that without giving my SSN.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Customer service is a concept from an earlier age.
    Luckily you're also from an earlier age

Thanks for your help getting this sorted out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast