Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hit or stand

Banned or Suspended

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

hit or stand

Delete
    Last edited by moses; 10-05-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post
    Would you hit 14,15,16 against an Ace if you knew a 7,8,9 were not the hole cards? We know it isn't a 10 or dealer would've flipped over a blackjack.
    Yes. You can think of an unknown soft hand, less than soft 18, as the equivalent of a dealer upcard of 8.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 10-18-2013 at 12:31 PM.

I forgot to mention that in my original post to assume you are playing the dealer straight up. Hypothecially, let's say by "knew" you caught a glimpse of the hole card. It could've been been anything but 7,8,9. There is actually a game called double exposure when dealer deals both cards face up.
    It would not matter if you are playing heads up. If you were playing double exposure (which is a terrible game), then you would not hit.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 10-18-2013 at 12:42 PM.

I just looked it up I was wrong. You would not hit a 15 or 16 if you knew the dealer did not have 7-9. But I am pretty sure playing it like an 8 would apply for surrender.

I agree. But according to the double exposure chart we'd both be wrong. Point is, there is always a surefire correct answer. I do not know what count you employ and perhaps it's none of my business. But is there a point where you would stand on a positive or negative count? Care to field some more scenoarios?
    No, the double exposure chart says stand on everything except 14 v. AA. When the dealer exposes both cards in a regular game, the chart is more relaxed with 14s.I would play these like an 8 for surrender purposes, surrendering 16s at +4. When the count got almost that high, I would not hit the 14. When the count went negative 1 or 2, I would hit the 15. Never hit the 16. That is about it.

My mistake. I meant to say stand instead of hit. In my play and record sim's on Verite Blackjack (which is considered not creditable) my results say to stand on 14 vs A at +3. Hit 15 at even or neg. Hit 16 at even or less...although there is no clear advantage to hitting in negative except the it often takes another negative card out of the deck.
    That might be close. Except the 15 would have to be stand at 0 and hit at negative. And the 16 is wrong.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    I just looked it up I was wrong. You would not hit a 15 or 16 if you knew the dealer did not have 7-9. But I am pretty sure playing it like an 8 would apply for surrender.
    Somebody told you that 'Think before posting'.

this reminds me, does anybody know where to find an exposed hole-card strategy chart? with indices maybe?
    big dog in charge

Would you hit 14,15,16 against an Ace if you knew a 7,8,9 were not the hole cards? We know it isn't a 10 or dealer would've flipped over a blackjack.
    AA hit up to hard 16
    A2 hit up to hard 15
    A3 hit up to hard 14
    A4 hit up to hard 13
    A5 hit up to hard 12
    A6 hit up to hard 17

"Last question. On norms verite game. if the hit/stand index says 2; Does that mean to hit up to a +1 and stand on +2 or hit +2?"

Stand on +2 or higher. Otherwise, hit.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by greg16394 View Post
    Somebody told you that 'Think before posting'.
    Quiet useless newbie. I was helping him. I checked my reasoning to make sure he was provided with the best info I could give. Soft hands are stronger than an 8. But under these weird circumstances, their bust percentage is like a deuce. I did not account for the fact that hitting would help less than normal in this situation. I just equivocated it to a dealer's upcard. I reposted the correction in 5 minutes. Nice post, great contribution.

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    "Last question. On norms verite game. if the hit/stand index says 2; Does that mean to hit up to a +1 and stand on +2 or hit +2?"Stand on +2 or higher. Otherwise, hit.Don
    say you were dealt a 9,7 v. 10. You saw the burn card, a 5. Is basic strategy to hit still correct at RC 0? Or does basic strategy always assume a negative count...except in an infinite amount of decks, where the count does not matter, but where the strategy becomes a hit anyway?

Basic strategy assumes the only cards you are aware of being played are the ones in the hand matchup, your cards and the dealer upcard. Composition dependent BS assumes knowledge of the specific cards and total dependent BS uses the weighted average for of frequency times gain or loss of all possible hands combined. It has nothing to do with the TC 0 except that the TC won't be far from 0 depending on the number of decks used because not many cards are considered. If you are considering splitting 44v4 off the top in a 6 deck game the TC is +1 for the matchup using HIOPT II. The HIOPT II index is +6. In double deck the RC is +3 and in SD the TC is +6. No surprise that it is only a BS split in SD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast