See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: The count debate

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned or Suspended

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

The count debate

This count debate became much clearer to me yesterday after receiving an pm from a senior, very experienced, very knowledgeable member of the forum.

For several years I have known that there was a consensus among the majority of the more experienced blackjack community, that in this era of less favorable games, what count a player chooses to use just doesn't matter all that much as long as it is one of the full strength counts and not some half assed count like A-5, or speed count.

Now this isn't to say that all of these experienced players use a level one count like hi-lo. Many do not. But they do recognize the diminishing returns of learning and playing a higher level count in today's environment for the vast majority of players. Now, I used that 'diminishing returns' comment before and it was met with some confusion, but the real meaning strongly applies, so I am not going to change it now. Those confused....learn the true meaning.

Now, probably the most notable, senior and experienced member of our community on the other side of the argument, is Flash, a strong proponent of a level 2 count, and still advising players to learn and play this count. In the last year, there has been a second, very vocal proponent of Flash's position and that is Tthree. Now Tthree is what I refer to as a sim-heavy guy. That is a person who gives too much weight to the results of simulations, not realizing they don't translate 100% into real world play.

Now because Tthree is a very frequent poster, he is often the voice for that side of the argument that I end up debating with. Most of the majority of the community that agrees with me, just dosen't bother anymore, feeling it is not worth it. But like many things, I was slow to learn that lesson.

To be continued...
    Last edited by KJ; 08-18-2013 at 10:41 AM.