Thread: Basic strategy

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Basic strategy

Oh wise ones,

In the Uk playing the UK rules, 6-deck, S17, DOA, DAS. It's pretty limp on this side of the water, if I win enough for a bag of seedless grapes then I'm happy. I'm following the basic strategy here: http://www.blackjackinfo.com/bjbse.p...urr=ns&peek=no

I'm a bit confused on soft 18. Let's suppose dealer has a 3 or a 4 and I draw A and 2. I take a 5 cos it would not be right to double and get soft 18, A,2,5. What's the correct play then? It's not clear from the blackjackinfo.com site if I should take another card or stay on soft 18. I'd be tempted to take another card.

Millions of pounds does not depend on the answer....

Cath

The chart displays DS= Double (Stand if not allowed).

Your soft 18 is 3 cards (A, 2, 5). You can't Double a 3-card hand.

The correct play is stand.

Thanks HowMany, the thing that was confusing me was the left hand table on the chart, which shows soft 18 as two cards, A7, not as A34 or A25 etc., and I was of the mind that soft 18 is not a particularly good hand so with a three-card soft 18 it might be worthwhile to take a fourth card. Obviously not.

I can now enjoy those seedless grapes. Cath.

With a soft 18 against a 3 I double. 3 through 6 I double 2 or 8 I stay and 9 through A I hit.