Thread: Doubts about my spread, risk and EV

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Doubts about my spread, risk and EV

Hi,
    I've got some doubts how to consider my spread, my risk and my EV.
    This is my betting ramp when playing always 1 hand or 2 hands from TC 2:
    TC < 1 10 10
    1<= TC < 2 20 20
    2<= TC < 3 40 30/30
    3<= TC < 4 80 60/60
    4<= TC < 5 120 80/80
    5<= TC 120 80/80 (sometimes also 100/100 if good conditions)

So, my spread playing one spot is 1-12. When I play two spots, if i want to keep the same risk, I play about 73%.
    Questions:
    1) when I keep the same risk playing two hands my EV increases?
    2) if instead of betting 73% I bet 50% on two hands, it's right to say that I keep my EV and my risk decreases?
    3) when playing two hands 80/80 is like to bet about 110 (73%) on one hand, so my spread would be 1-11, right?
    4) I just buy the CVCX programm, when I run a sim playing two hands at TC 2 and 1-12 spread, the optimal betting ramp calculated is from 10 to 2x60. I don't understand why 2x60 since I put 1-12 spread. 2x60 is not like 1x80 and then the spread would be 1-8 or better the max bet would not be 2x90 (more ecxatly 2x88) with a 1-12 spread?

If useful this are the game rules I play:
    6D - S17 - DOA - DAS - SPL3 - ENHC - pen 75%
    and I play with HiLo, BR 12000, unit bet 10

Thanks

The experts will be here shortly.
    Seems like playable condition,#1 should be right.#2,3,4 is a bit off . The most important is play a winning game with a lot of rounds ( try to get the long run faster) and decent pen, rules at an acceptable RISK OF RUIN ( hopefully under 5% ) . I personally think ROR needs to be under 1% for me to be acceptable.The fluctuation is really hard on our soul,and We do not need any of it . A lot of experience players will tell you play 1/2 kelly to 1/4 kelly . I think pros play at least 1/4 kelly, It really depend on your view on risk ,maybe recreational player can take full kelly risk with no problem. I know I certainly can not accept anything over 5% and I am a recreational player.

Thanks stopgambling

I am a newbie recreational player, do not take my words as fact but i am just sharing my thoughts with WHAT I THINK i know only.

If you type it your bankroll, and that you want to play 2 hand above TC 3, then it'll create the "best" bet ramp for you. If you want a bigger spread, increase it so it looks how you want it to.
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

1. Yup
    2. 2x$50 vs 1x$100 has less risk AND variance but same ev.
    3. Nope, 1-16. Yu'd be playing 2 hands with a 1-8 spread = 1-16 spread. A good way to increase spread but can generate heat in alot of places if not careful (spreading for 1 to 2 hands that is)
    4. See #3...

~Pac

Thanks RollingStoned
    Thanks Pac, i suppose for "Yup" you mean "Yes", right? No problema with heat so it's good to know that my spread is 1-16 and not 1-12. So more EV at the same risk.

I thought it was higher EV but same risk (long term ,that is).???? Correct me if I am wrong please,so I do not get mixed up.. About the higher variance (short term)on going to 2 hands ,read Brett Harris 's post.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    Same EV for the round but what about the shoe? You will eat more cards but not get more EV.
    Yes very true. Which is why one should bet more optimally if they are gonna play multiple hands to "compensate" for the eating effect. Though yu can easily use said effect to yo advantage

~Pac

Thanks all for your explanations... like before I keep playing 2 hands at 73% each with now a 1-16 spread