Thread: Single Deck, why treat 7-7 differently than any other 14

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Single Deck, why treat 7-7 differently than any other 14

I've never played BJ on anything but a 6 deck shoe so I've thus far only been familiar w/ 6 deck basic strategy. I just found out that the basic strategy play on a single deck for 7-7 against a dealer 10 is to stay however any other 14 against a dealer 10 is a hit (as w/ 6D). I find this quite strange, if you aren't splitting 7s, the fact that it's a pair doesn't at all seem relevant to play. Can someone explain to me why this is the case?

Quote Originally Posted by NotEnoughHeat View Post
    I've never played BJ on anything but a 6 deck shoe so I've thus far only been familiar w/ 6 deck basic strategy. I just found out that the basic strategy play on a single deck for 7-7 against a dealer 10 is to stay however any other 14 against a dealer 10 is a hit (as w/ 6D). I find this quite strange, if you aren't splitting 7s, the fact that it's a pair doesn't at all seem relevant to play. Can someone explain to me why this is the case?
    That's a good question, in theory.

However the answer is likely a little more obvious. If you're playing single deck, and you have two 7's, there are only two possible 7's to make the 21 which would all but guarantee a win against a dealer upcard of 10. Considering the effect of removal of that 7, or rather, those 7's, the ideal option would be to surrender or stand against S17 rules. If you had, however, a Jack and a 4, the EoR dictates that you should hit the 14. Though I will caution that most SD players that I know of, go much further in depth with EoR to stipulate actions based on combined upcards and EoR, prior to deck count.

good question and response , thanks

1. 2 missing sevens that make your 21.

2. 2 missing sevens that make the dealer pat.
    The Cash Cow.

"The bad news is you're only going to win this hand 20% of the time (22.4% on a regular 14) regardless."

Not sure where you're getting this value from, but it isn't correct. 7,7 v. 10 in SD is a net 51% loser, which means you win 24.5% of the time and lose 75.5% of the time. Since you're standing on 14, you can't push.

Don

Previous posts pretty much answers the query. I will just add, hit it on nuetral to negative counts in SD.