See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Flow of Cards

Banned or Suspended

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

The Flow of Cards

On more than a few occasions at the table, I've been accused of messing with the Flow of Cards... most often by taking the Dealer Bust Card. It seems the magical flow of cards is preordained in heaven by Jupiter, Thor or some other Blackjack God. This is my limited understanding of the great Flow mystery according to the Ploppy Bible. It never ceases to amuse me when I hear it again, and I always burst out laughing when I hear you messed with... yet again. Such laughter is not expected in such a tense, heinous-crime situation such as this; because it can pour petrol on the fire, so to speak. But as I said, I can't help myself. LOL.

The Magical Flow of Cards and the Dealer Bust Card have become accepted blackjack fact in the ploppy mind. It is now Ploppy Folk Lore. There is nothing I can do about it, except accept it, and ... laugh at the muppets.

I've even spoken to dealers who speak of the "flow of the cards," but maybe they knew better but assumed I did not, I don't know. Other dealers I spoke with seemed knowledgable about basic strategy but then said they didn't really play BS, and some even went as far as mentioning counting! (while I was counting)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    It's kinda fun to watch these folks try to back a hand up when there are 3 or more players involved in it. The search for a scapegoat must be completed so that the ruiner of the flow can be determined and chastised. Often the dealer participates in the witch hunt, doubtless so they won't have to shoulder the blame.

It's hard to hold my tounge. Sometimes I just wanna be like "Oh yeah? PLEASE tell me how you know the next card is going to bust the dealer?"

Potential responses: You are right and I plan to continue screwing up the flow. You might want to move to another table (high count). I am sorry I messed up your hand. I better sit this shoe out so I don't do it again (low count).

I have wondered where the concept of "flow of the cards" got started.
    Thankfully there is no book titled "The Illustrated History of the Ploppy".
    “One man’s remorse is another man’s reminiscence.” Ogden Nash

I use this to my advantage. Letting the dealer know that I'm buying into the flow of the cards myth.

Just tell them something like "So what you're saying is the way those cards are shuffled is for the number of people at the table at any time???"

BTW one of the "best" ploppie pieces of advice I heard was to "always cut 3/4 of the way though the shoe." He said that a professional told him that.
    My Ability in Blackjack is a Gift from God!!

I usually mutter something about their psychic abilities.....
    “One man’s remorse is another man’s reminiscence.” Ogden Nash

"I didn't mess up the flow, I fixed it for the rest of the shoe!!"
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

Don't mess with the Sacred Flow.
    Let me die in my sleep like my Grandfather.
    Not screaming in agony like his passengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    On more than a few occasions at the table, I've been accused of messing with the Flow of Cards.
    At the table, express the opinion that the house has the natural advantage in the game. The more you allow the cards to remain untampered with, the more the house can grind away with that advantage. That's why the players need to "zig-zag" by switching from one hand to two hands and back to one incessantly. That's why you need to jump in and out of the game. That's why you need to double for less with 12 and occasionally split 10's. That's why you need to alternate your play with 16. You can't allow the dealer to get "set", or she'll methodically grind you down to a little nub.

Picture Tiger Woods and yourself going head-to-head in a round of golf. If conditions remain perfect, you've got no shot. You don't want perfect conditions -- Tiger wants them. You want it to be sleeting out there. You want dense fog and 33 degree temperatures. You want 50 mph winds. You want earth tremors. You want loud acid rock music. And you want a grandstand full of vile and irritating hecklers. Now, anything can happen. That's why you've got to keep mixing it up. Tell them that!
    Last edited by Renzey; 06-12-2013 at 10:32 PM.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Renzey View Post
    At the table, express the opinion that the house has the natural advantage in the game. The more you allow the cards to remain untampered with, the more the house can grind away with that advantage. That's why the players need to "zig-zag" by switching from one hand to two hands and back to one incessantly. That's why you need to jump in and out of the game. That's why you need to double for less with 12 and occasionally split 10's. That's why you need to alternate your play with 16. You can't allow the dealer to get "set", or she'll methodically grind you down to a little nub.

Picture Tiger Woods and yourself going head-to-head in a round of golf. If conditions remain perfect, you've got no shot. You don't want perfect conditions -- Tiger wants them. You want it to be sleeting out there. You want dense fog and 33 degree temperatures. You want 50 mph winds. You want earth tremors. You want loud acid rock music. And you want a grandstand full of vile and irritating hecklers. Now, anything can happen. That's why you've got to keep mixing it up. Tell them that!
    Yeah, nice try mate. But in my experience, these ploppies of which I speak are usually high level alcohol and low on IQ... and logic & reason are not their strong suit. That's why they are ploppies and will remain so for the forseeable future. Bless em, LOL...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast