Thread: Wonging? What?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Wonging? What?

I read in some threads talk about Wonging. I understand this to mean "backcounting."

But what sort of tactic is this? Some of you make it sound so simple, yet when I stand around a table too long I'm likely to be told to wait around for the next shoe before entering. So how is it accomplished under such circumstances?

"Wonging in" is backcounting a table, then jumping in when it gets good. "Wonging out" is playing at a table, then leaving when the count goes lower than X.
    Are you trying to backcount tables that are "no mid-shoe entry"? There should be a sign on the table indicating that. Wonging-in is fairly obvious if you stand around a table through 2 decks, then jump in. It works much better in team play.
    "I put a dollar in, I won a car. I put a dollar in, I won a car.
    I put a dollar in, I won a car. I put a dollar in, I won a car."
    Nick Pappageorgio

Assuming mid-shoe entry is allowed, these are a few of the ideal conditions.

1. Many tables open in several different pits. (This allows you to move around without being in one place too long.) This usually means a Friday or Saturday night.
    2. Crowded conditions (so you can blend in), but not so crowded that you can't get a seat.

Don't buy in. Carry chips with you. Don't make any announcement when you sit down. Just put your chips in the circle. If the dealer comments about your standing around, I usually just say something like "I just wanted to see how mean you are to the players."

Don't have many chips on the table. When it's time to leave, don't color up and don't say goodbye. Just grab your chips and disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyNewbie View Post
    "Wonging in" is backcounting a table, It works much better in team play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoofly View Post
    Assuming mid-shoe entry is allowed, these are a few of the ideal conditions.

1. Many tables open in several different pits. (This allows you to move around without being in one place too long.) This usually means a Friday or Saturday night.
    2. Crowded conditions (so you can blend in), but not so crowded that you can't get a seat.
    Not so crowed thats a important one

Some Tips
    1. Don't be obvious, don't stare. If the count drops be looking for another nearby table in the middle of a shuffle
    2. If the count doesn't go to a 0.5% to 1.0% advantage in the first three decks of a six deck shoe, move on...you don't want to stand there forever only to have 1 or 2 rounds at the end of a shoe.
    3. A shoe that goes to +2 TC in the first deck is ideal.
    4. The best time to exit the shoe depend on penetration and your bankroll size. You might try to sit out a few hands when the count drops to neutral to see if it rebounds and then depart once it goes substantially negative.
    5. Mix it up...enter a shoe at the shuffle occasionally (White Rabbit Approach). Doing everything the same way (like a robot) will get you caught more quickly.
    6. Most IMPORTANT...have a chip stockpile. If you can walk right up with chips ready to play you will be far less noticeable to everyone concerned. Make your buy-ins when you start at the shuffle, from that point on if you're purely wonging you should have chips in your pocket ready to play.

Another, very effective way to wong is to play a shoe, then get up to either make a phone call or have a smoke. you can stand nearby. To the watchers- you are a player having a smoke or making a call. Its better to do the phone approach as you can end it anytime and jump back in when the count is positive. As you already have skin in the game, so to speak, it is not un-natural for you to be paying attention to the cards while you speak to your friend on the phone.
    Let me die in my sleep like my Grandfather.
    Not screaming in agony like his passengers.

Did I say anything about wonging out when the count tanks? I most certainly did not. I realize you go out of your way to demean anything I write but at least try to demean things I actually post, not things you make up whole. The other day you had me bet capping, now you have me wonging out when a count tanks. Give it a break.
    Let me die in my sleep like my Grandfather.
    Not screaming in agony like his passengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    Me thinks you are projecting.
    ^^
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]