Thread: Mister M: Laptops. For Norm ?

Mister M

Mister M: Laptops. For Norm ?

Dear Norm
    Can you give some advice on choosing a good laptop please as I need to transport CVBJ around the globe in the near future.

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Hate 'em

Although I did spend some time overlooking Copa-Cabana typing away on a borrowed IBM laptop years ago. It was so heavy I returned it to IBM and asked when they?d build a portable model. I'm a bad source as I can't stand small keyboards and small screens. Having said that, it depends on what you need. The Sony Vaio?s are sleek, light and will probably cause less trouble going through security. My partners are currently both out-country and swear by them. But they aren?t cheap. Up to the last couple of years you needed a heavy monster to support anything heavily graphical ? like a complex presentation. Mainly ?cause the light machines don?t have video cards. Nowadays, most portables can handle whatever you throw at them. I buy Dell equipment more than anything else. But, Sony makes a wonderful product.

norm

Mister M

Mister M: Re: Thanks for that *NM*

Parker

Parker: Not Norm, but . . .

> Dear Norm
    > Can you give some advice on choosing a good
    > laptop please as I need to transport CVBJ
    > around the globe in the near future.

Between my "day job," a busy playing schedule, and my personal lifestyle, I spend a lot of time on the road. Being the host/moderator of the free pages, not to mention a hopeless Internet junkie, I never leave home without a laptop. On long trips I even carry a backup laptop.

I use Dell Latitudes exclusively. Why? Because they are one of the most rugged units built. In a laptop, ruggedness and reliability are the characteristics that I value most.

There are few feelings worse than checking into a hotel late at night in a strange town and discovering that your laptop won't boot up, especially if you are traveling by air and therefore cannot carry so much as a decent screwdriver.

I have had good success with the Dells. One time I slipped and fell in an airport, and the laptop broke my fall. The LCD screen had a big spiderweb in the middle, but otherwise the laptop was fully functional, despite having my full weight dropped on it.

Another advantage of Dells is that they are popular enough that parts are readily available on the Internet. I was able to find a replacement LCD screen on eBay for a fraction of Dell's price.

I got tired of info I needed always being on the wrong computer, so I use my primary laptop at home as well - I just hook it to a CRT monitor, trackball, and a full size keyboard.

Mister M

Mister M: Re: Not Norm, but . . .

Thank you for the advice Parker.I am thinking of the dell inspiron though. Have you used one of these before or is the Latitude superior?
    The Toshiba satelite range and the Sony that Norm mentions above are two other possibles.
    Everybody elses 0.2 is most welcome.

P.S The new version of CVDATA looks incredible Norm so that's next!!

Parker

Parker: Inspiron vs Latitude

> Thank you for the advice Parker.I am
    > thinking of the dell inspiron though. Have
    > you used one of these before or is the
    > Latitude superior?

The Latitude series is designed more for the business user, and the Inspiron more for the individual. I interpret this to mean that the Latitude series is more rugged.

The Inspiron series actually uses more cutting edge technology, featuring the newest CPU's biggest hard drives, etc.

The Latitude series ulilizes more tried & true technology. I actually prefer this, since it makes installing Linux a snap.

The Inspiron series usually have more sophisticated sound & video cards. Of course, you need external speakers (or headphones) to notice the difference in sound cards.

Latitudes are designed with networking in mind.

If you're bargain-hunting, used Latitudes often become available at attractive prices due to large corporations upgrading.

It really comes down to personal preference.

I've looked at Toshibas and Sonys but never used either. I like the thin design and light weight of the Sony, but I'm not sure how it would handle my style of abuse.

Sun Runner

Sun Runner: Re: Not Norm, but . . .

I am on my second Toshiba Satelite for business.

The first one I carried backand forth from my office to my home and back, everyday, as well as on vacations and such, for eighteen months.

It is now at home and my second Satelite is now at the office full-time.

Neither has ever skipped a beat.

The monitor on my new one, while only 14", is so good, I do not use a CRT any longer in the office. Plug in a real keyboard and mouse and it is good to go. I have been very happy with them.

Good luck.

SR