Thread: Mountebank: CVCX question

Mountebank

Mountebank: CVCX question

I just purchased Norm's CVCX and installed it on my laptop. I have been playing with it a little bit, and it is a wonderful program. But, I am wondering if it will do the following:

For background, I wanted to give the reader a hint of how I bet (as well as open myself up to comments/criticism), and to explain what I would like the software to do. I play with a $30,000 bank, and I like to play with a very small risk of ruin. Thus, for shoes, I play two ways: strict wonging or Don's "White Rabbit" (WR). When I use WR, I use it slightly modified from how Don explains it in BJAII. Assume the following rules: S17, DAS, RSA, LS, 4.5/6 penetration. Also assume a $10 minimum table, and one must bet at least twice the minimum when playing two hands.

1) I will wait until true of +1 to wong in. My bet is $20 (1 unit). At +2 true, bet 2 units. At +3 units, bet 2 hands of 3 units. This is where it gets complicated. At +4, bet 2 hands of 4 units. At +5 or above, bet 2 hands of 5 units. I wong out at -1. Now, once I spread to 2 hands, I will not reduce back to one hand for the remainder of the shoe, for cover purposes. If the count gets to -1, I pick up my chips and walk. If it goes back down to +2, I play two hands of 1.5 units. If it reduces to +1 or lower, I play 1 unit each hand.

OR

2) I start the top of the shoe with a $10 waiting bet, and bet .5 units until the count gets to +1 (then use the bet schedule in #1), or gets to -1 (wong-out).

Question: can CVCX do these complex calculations for c-SCORE, risk of ruin, DI, etc... If not, can any software? Note to Norm: the software is neat, so please don't take offense that if this software can't do it, can you recommend any that can? If there is nothing out there, then so be it (I'll still have fun with it, no matter what). Thanks to all who respond.

- Mountebank

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Good grief!!

CVCX does not handle cover plays since it is an optimal bet calculator and there has yet to be developed an optimal betting theory for cover play. CVData supports cover betting, but there is one problem with this method. Let's go through it step by step:

1) I will wait until true of +1 to wong in. OK
    2) At +2 true, bet 2 units. OK
    3) At +3 units, bet 2 hands of 3 units. OK
    4) This is where it gets complicated. At +4, bet 2 hands of 4 units. OK
    5) At +5 or above, bet 2 hands of 5 units. OK
    6) I wong out at -1. OK
    7) Now, once I spread to 2 hands, I will not reduce back to one hand for the remainder of the shoe, for cover purposes. If it goes back down to +2, I play two hands of 1.5 units. So far, so good. You can tell it to temporarily change the bet at +2 to two hands of 1.5 units once you have ever gone to two hands in a shoe. This will optionally reset at the end of the shoe.
    8) If it reduces to +1 or lower, I play 1 unit each hand. Yes it can also drop to two hands of one unit at +1 or lower for one hand. However, once it has done that, it will revert to the previous schedule. CVData determines the next bet based on the count, the amount of the previous bet, the result of the previous hand and type of previous hand. However, it cannot tell the difference between previous bets of one hand of two units and two hands of one unit.

If not, can any software?

Nope. It would have to be customized.

regards,
    norm

ET Fan

ET Fan: LOL!

Q: Is there any software out there that can simulate ANY strategy I can imagine and compute c-SCORE, DI, ROR, etc!?!?!?

A: Learn to program!

Regards,
    ETF

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Steering software

The word cybernetics comes from the Greek word for steersman. The most difficult part of developing general purpose software continues to be the human interface. How do you communicate your desires to the software? Your comment 'Learn to program' is understandable. It is easier for a programmer to use code to make this specification than to develop a general purpose interface. Simulating any betting system is trivial if you have access to the code. (Making certain your answers are correct is another problem.) The challenge is the development of an interface that allows the description of complex strategies while not forcing the user to become a programmer himself and not introducing errors from misspecifications. I'm always looking for input along these lines.

regards,
    norm