Thread: Steve: should one round on figuring a TC

Steve

Steve: should one round on figuring a TC

Hi,

I am fairly new to counting an play an 8 deck shoe with a 1.5 (sometimes one deck with the right dealer) cut, DAS, up to 3 splits allowed and double on any 2 cards.

I normally Wong in at a TC of +2 using the Hi-Lo lite from Arnold Snyder's Blackbelt in BJ book.

Today I Wonged in with a RC of +19 and 9 half decks remaining to be played giving me a TC just over +2, with 6 players at the table including myself. After winning that hand, the RC was +13 with 8 half decks remaining.

This brings me to my question. I had figured my TC to be just over 1.4 with the rc of +13 and 8 half decks remaining to be played. I now know after breaking out the calculator I had a TC of +1.625. Of course after the 2nd hand was dealt, the dealer had an A showing. I knew to take insurance at a TC of +2, but decided against it as the TC was exactly 2. Of course, the dealer had a BJ.

So should one round up when figuring the TC? If so, do you round up only if the tc is above the .5 mark? or the .75 mark?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: should one round on figuring a TC

> This brings me to my question. I had figured my TC to
    > be just over 1.4 with the rc of +13 and 8 half decks
    > remaining to be played. I now know after breaking out
    > the calculator I had a TC of +1.625.

You don't need to be that precise, but it seems to me that you should be able to divide 13 by 8 and realize that the remainder of 5 is MORE than half of 8, not less. so, 1.4 wasn't a very good guess!

>Of course after
    > the 2nd hand was dealt, the dealer had an A showing. I
    > knew to take insurance at a TC of +2, but decided
    > against it as the TC was exactly 2. Of course, the
    > dealer had a BJ.

Not that it matters, but, technically speaking, if your TC equals or exceeds the index, you should insure.

> So should one round up when figuring the TC?

Depends on how the indices were created for the count that you use. If rounding was used to generate the indices, then round when you use them. If another method (truncating, flooring) was used, then you have to do the same.

> If so, do
    > you round up only if the tc is above the .5 mark?

That's what rounding means.

>or the .75 mark?

No.

Don

Steve

Steve: Re: should one round on figuring a TC

Don, I appreciate your insight and feedback.

Thank-you,

Steve

> You don't need to be that precise, but it seems to me
    > that you should be able to divide 13 by 8 and realize
    > that the remainder of 5 is MORE than half of 8, not
    > less. so, 1.4 wasn't a very good guess!

> Not that it matters, but, technically speaking, if
    > your TC equals or exceeds the index, you should
    > insure.

> Depends on how the indices were created for the count
    > that you use. If rounding was used to generate the
    > indices, then round when you use them. If another
    > method (truncating, flooring) was used, then you have
    > to do the same.

> That's what rounding means.

> No.

> Don

GMan

GMan: Be careful Steve

I can see you posted this exact same question on at least two other forums...

Stick with Don's answer, other replies may only serve as confusing you a little more or are completely "out of bond".

Once you ask the best, no need to ask the rest of the world. This isn't a poll you're doing ;-)

Best of luck!

Steve

Steve: Re: Be careful Steve

Thanks G-man. I had actually posted at the 2 other sites before this one. I wasn't trying to take a poll, rather I wanted feedback as soon as I could get it and I ddn't know when or who would reply to which site first.

I didn't know everyone reviews all BJ sites and I know only those who have purchased Don's book have access to this one. However, in the future I will stick with Don!!

Steve

> I can see you posted this exact same question on at
    > least two other forums...

> Stick with Don's answer, other replies may only serve
    > as confusing you a little more or are completely
    > "out of bond".

> Once you ask the best, no need to ask the rest of the
    > world. This isn't a poll you're doing ;-)

> Best of luck!