I think the problem is due to your trying to make a comparison in running count mode.

We can compare in true count mode and say that TKO TC -4 = Hi-lo TC 0, or TKO TC 0 = Hi-lo TC +4.

We cannot do the same in running count mode because the running count in an unbalanced system behaves differently than in a balanced system.

Suppose we have a shoe that has somehow ended up with the high and low cards distributed in a perfectly even manner throughout the shoe. If we are using Hi-lo, the running count will start at 0 and essentially stay there. Since 0 divided by anything is zero, the TC will stay at 0 throughout the shoe.

The unbalanced count will start at -24 (IRC). Since there are 6 decks remaining to be dealt, the TC is -4. Since this is an evenly distributed shoe, the RC will increase by 4 for each deck dealt. So for example, with two decks dealt (and four decks remaining) the RC will now be -16, and the TC will be . . . (drum roll) -4! In other words, the RC will increase by 4 per deck from -24 to 0, but the TC will remain at -4 (which, as we have already established, corresponds to Hi-lo TC 0 - just what we expect in this neutral shoe).

So, for the TC to increase, we have to see small cards coming out at a rate in excess of 4 cards per deck. However, the method of TC conversion allows for this without you having to do anything else. I think that this is what you are getting hung up on.

BTW, don't worry about having difficulty grasping this, and don't be shy about continuing to ask. This is actually proving quite helpful to me with the book I'm writing.