Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bfbagain: A question about Don's Domain

bfbagain

bfbagain: A question about Don's Domain

I've been spending more than inordinate amount of time lately perusing and posting, as well as honing my conspiracy theory skills (that's an inside joke folks) and it occurred to me that an awful lot of good and insightful posts, re:really good advantage knowledge has been posted on the free pages.

Part of the catalyst for these thoughts were the posts by cacarulo and zenfighter recently, where I think zen mentioned he was only going to post the info here on DD, and cac said something similar.

And of course there was that huge (ground hog day type) thread on variance, volatility, standard deviation and more that really, should have been here, on DD.

Even my comments to SR below, belong here, but if he had posted that on the free pages, I would have without hesitation, posted my comments there.

But is that the right thing to do? Sometimes, a price needs to be paid for value to be appreciated.

So, Why is there so much free advice given on the free pages?

Just askin? Any comments by those in management welcome.

Thanks
    bfb

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: A question about Don's Domain

> So, Why is there so much free advice given
    > on the free pages?

> Just askin? Any comments by those in
    > management welcome.

This is a delicate subject, and something that has been a thorn in our sides for a long time. In fact, it actually started long ago, on bj21, which, truth be told, I helped put on the map when Wong first created it. I was a mainstay and staple of his free pages.

Then, he created Green Chip, and, slowly but surely, the free pages, which used to be decent, turned into a toilet bowl of monumental proportions. And Wong sat by and watched, because he was happy to see people driven away to the paying pages.

I was livid. And, as a result, I left ALL of Wong's pages, including GC, which REALLY pissed off a lot of people. I have stayed away for three years, returning only very rarely.

Now, we have a similar situation here. I would like for there to be thousands of subscribers to DD, so that RGE could earn a bit more revenue -- I really would. But, I didn't create the Free pages. Parker does a spectacular job there, and we never refuse to answer a question by saying, "You'll have to go to DD and PAY for that answer."

Viktor would like for me to just about disappear from the Free pages. And, it may come to that. But, I'm not going to be the one to do the explaining as to why. And, I'm not sure it will matter. Because Parker is capable of answering 90-95% of all the questions that are asked there, without me. So, unless he stops answering as well (what's the point in that??), people are STILL going to be able to get answers for free -- just not from me.

Will that help sell subscriptions to DD? I guess there's only one way to find out, but, truth be told, I'm not too happy about it.

Don

bfbagain

bfbagain: Monster creations

Parker does a great job from what I can see on the free pages. Although I remember a post......:-)

Seriously, it's a great benefit for people, and he handles it well. In fact, it's so good, IMO, that between you, Parker, Viktor, Bettie, and any other contributor, that it would be easy for someone to feel no need to spend any money, as they're already getting a lot for free.

There's a story about free and milk..oh forget it, we won't go there. :-)

But a monster has been created. Now I'm no different than most people, as I'm looking to get the best deal there is, and if it's on the internet, well, free is king!

I was thinking about the long term viability, and honestly, I think for most players, not that they won't get answers and increase knowledge at bj21, but there's just a different feeling here. Maybe it's a patience factor. Maybe the explanations are clearer.

In the end, regardless of the why's, if people will spend for GC, then many, if not the same people, will spend here as well. I never feel bad for spending money in which I receive value. And clearly there is a lot of value here.

I also don't think "You'll have to go to DD and PAY for that answer." will need to be said in such a "brutal[?] way.

Being gentle seems to work more often than not.

Anyways, I just asking, and you answered, as you always do.

bfb

Zenfighter

Zenfighter: Re: Free pages

Being gentle seems to work more often than not.

The only fault I?ve seen in our host behaviour regarding his free advices, is precisely and excess of courtesy over there. Sometimes this, paradoxically, tends to work like a double edge knife. We?ve seen and example recently at Parker?s Beginners.

Speaking for myself, sometimes I?m open to some free advice, but with a moderate dose of extension. My own experience regarding this, is that people who join pay-per-view pages are much more thankful and thus makes your own efforts more rewarding.

Two cents added to your question, maybe.

Sincerely

Zenfighter

Wolverine

Wolverine: Don's Domain

As a relative newcomer to the online AP world, I would like to chime in as well. I joined DD because I think that any group that puts this much time and effort into getting things done right deserves and has EARNED my money for a subscription. I look at it from this perspective, if I had a skill that could potentialy earn other people money, I would expect some earning power from that skill. I think it is a STEAL to belong to this group for so little (don't take that as: raise the price, please) and get such knowledge at my fingertips just by typing in a question or chatting with another AP'er on Sunday night.

In the world too often today, people try to take advantage of another person's generosity. Don, I think you are FAR too generous with your talents. I'm with the others, let the Free pages be that, free. Let the DD pages be where the masters (including Parker) answer the more "professional" questions for a clientele that appreciate that level of service. I'm sure that if Parker or others get into trouble and feel they need your help, they will ask.

bfbagain

bfbagain: Agreed, but maybe I

misused the word gentle, and if so, I apologize.

Gentle in the context that I meant for it was to gently guide people here to DD, in whatever manner that was consistent with the overall mores and committments that have been expected by those here who have been generous in their assistance.

I hope I cleared that up. :-)

cheers
    bfb

Illusion

Illusion: my 2 cents

Like it or not, the free pages are excellent. There the reason I desided to subscribe to DD. I like what a saw.

Sun Runner

Sun Runner: Don's Domain and the free pages.

> So, Why is there so much free advice given on the free pages?

Because smart people like you (Don, Parker, NW, VN, ZG, etc.) keep giving it.

Were I AP.com I would do the following ...

Don would let the word out that he is simply to busy to tend to all he has going on and sadly is going to limit his time -except in rare occassions when he dosen't -to Don's Domain.

He would say he feels fine doing so as Parker and Co is more than capable of dispensing wisdom on the free pages and he is.

It's a sticky wicket for me as I feel like Wolverine. I joined DD because I came to a place where I felt I was ripping off VN for all the great info I was getting and whatever it costs a year (I don't even know) was cheap at twice the price. BUT .. I would never have become the degenerate gambler that I am had it not initially been for the free pages generally and Parker's and Don's patience specifically.

One thing I have noticed about the free pages at BJ21 and the quality post made there (bigplayer, DD', etc) are that they are short, swift, and to the point. To THE point; nothing more nothing less.

Does that mean when someone posts that SD is less volatile than 6D it goes un-challenged? No. But it dosen't have to go on for days and it certainly does not have to monopolize DS's time. What a waste. Once a bad post is made; it is refuted, clarified quickly, and then left alone.

Those capable of understanding will get the message; others probably never will anyway.

I could/should learn from that. Possibly that is what the free pages should be to those of us paying for Don's Domain. Short concise responses that lead a newbie down the right road. Then, the seeker will either turn somewhere for mo' better information or they will stagnate.

That would be up to them -as it was to us.

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: I understood

> misused the word gentle, and if so, I
    > apologize.

No, I understood, and, of course, we wouldn't say, "I'm leaving; now PAY for my answers"!!! In fact, if this comes to pass, the wording is likely to be so gentle as to make you weep and go run to subscribe to DD. :-)

Don

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Don's Domain

I'm going to let YOU word the announcement for the free pages!! :-)

Don

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: And you can add a P.S. to Wolverine's wording! :- *NM*

ES

ES: Wong's GC

That site has gone downhill since Don left it. Wong himself should post much more on blackjack on that site. He certainly has the knowledge and experience. I remain a member primarily for the Politics page. There are some very interesting people on that page. I am, however, glad that Viktor and Parker do not allow politics or religion on Waterkooler, even though they know Wong's Politics page gets many more hits.

ES

ES: Re: A question about Don's Domain *NM*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast