Thread: The Prince: Dear Don: Breaking through plateaus

The Prince

The Prince: Dear Don: Breaking through plateaus

The speed with which I counted down a deck of cards (face down, flipped one at a time) improved dramatically when I first started practicing, but now it has started to plateau out. I know this is to be expected (no one can count a deck in negative seconds!), but I have a feeling there is still room for improvement. I know in your article on table hopping you said you could count down a deck in under fourteen seconds. To be honest, I don't think I could physically move my hands that fast. Any suggestions on either the physical or mental aspect of this counting practice?

Sun Runner

Sun Runner: Re: Dear Don: Breaking through plateaus

> The speed with which I counted down a deck
    > of cards (face down, flipped one at a time)
    > improved dramatically when I first started
    > practicing, but now it has started to
    > plateau out. I know this is to be expected
    > (no one can count a deck in negative
    > seconds!), but I have a feeling there is
    > still room for improvement. I know in your
    > article on table hopping you said you could
    > count down a deck in under fourteen seconds.
    > To be honest, I don't think I could
    > physically move my hands that fast. Any
    > suggestions on either the physical or mental
    > aspect of this counting practice?

It does not have to be that fast. You can learn to count cards faster and faster with techniques that will never translate to the table.

Can you do a SD in 20 seconds? Ten times in a row? No mistakes? Then you are doing fine.

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Dear Don: Breaking through plateaus

> I know in your
    > article on table hopping you said you could
    > count down a deck in under fourteen seconds.
    > To be honest, I don't think I could
    > physically move my hands that fast. Any
    > suggestions on either the physical or mental
    > aspect of this counting practice?

Instead of flipping the cards over, you can scan them, from one hand to the next, moving two or move cards at a time. Many people find that physically easier and faster.

Also, you can get Norm's CV software and practice on the screen, setting the speed, card orientation, and number of cards grabbed at a time to anything you like.

Don