Thread: Norm Wattenberger: How to Create a Card Counting Strategy

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: How to Create a Card Counting Strategy

I put up the below page as a very brief summary of the components of card counting systems. Not meant to be all-encompassing. I'd be interested in comments and suggested changes.

Jake {|:>)

Jake {|:>): Re: How to Create a Card Counting Strategy

I think it is an excellent summary. For some people the number of hours they play per year might also influence what count is best for them. Also the choice of games in your region may be an influnce. If I lived in Northern Nevada I might choose something different than if I lived 40 minute from Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun. Also you might want to expand a bit on true counted unbalanced systems like TKO. Seems like the terminology describing them and their adjustments can be a bit confusing.

I sometimes wonder if the negative tags used in shuffle tracking biases the indexes you might want to use. It may be when you cut specific cards into play you are esentially dealing with half the tag values of your count. The composition you are playing when you whack a 2 deck playzone in a 6 deck shoe may have quite a different profile than a 2 deck remainder with traditional counting so maybe the indexes may differ slightly.

Those are the only items I can think of that you might consider Norm.

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Re: How to Create a Card Counting Strategy

Thanks Jake I greatly respect your input. Some comments:

> I think it is an excellent summary. For some
    > people the number of hours they play per
    > year might also influence what count is best
    > for them. Also the choice of games in your
    > region may be an influnce. If I lived in
    > Northern Nevada I might choose something
    > different than if I lived 40 minute from
    > Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun.

Absolutely. I try to cover this in the Blackjack Strategy Advisor.

> Also you might
    > want to expand a bit on true counted
    > unbalanced systems like TKO. Seems like the
    > terminology describing them and their
    > adjustments can be a bit confusing.

Good idea. There does seem to be much confusion in this area.

> I sometimes wonder if the negative tags used
    > in shuffle tracking biases the indexes you
    > might want to use. It may be when you cut
    > specific cards into play you are esentially
    > dealing with half the tag values of your
    > count. The composition you are playing when
    > you whack a 2 deck playzone in a 6 deck shoe
    > may have quite a different profile than a 2
    > deck remainder with traditional counting so
    > maybe the indexes may differ slightly.

Very interesting thought. For some time I have wondered about the effect of Wonging on indexes because Wongers don't play the early portions of the shoe and indexes are slightly penetration dependant. The effect is tiny. But, it may be magnified by shuffle-tracking. And that is just simple tracking by zone counts; not cutting particular cards into play. If we are talking about Aces; effects on some indexes could be large. This is not a simple project

norm