I?ve always been mildly frustrated by the differences I?ve found in indices for Hi-Lo, both in the literature and in various software programs. While I realize the discrepancies make very little difference overall, it?s annoying to be buzzed for an error by one program and not for another, or to have to decide which to use. I?d like to decide a final answer and put it in all my practice tools (e.g., CVBJ.). Right now I only use Don Schlesinger?s Illustrious 18 and Fab 4 when appropriate.

My starting point is Stanford Wong?s Professional Blackjack, 1994, which advocates ?truncate, and not round,? when using its indices. Blackjack Secrets, 1999, from the same author has some differences but notes that the expected gain from the differences is less than the cost of the book. Blackjack Attack also lists slightly different numbers for the ?I18?; I don?t know if the difference in them is due to rounding vs. truncating, newer studies and simulations, or something else.

Any feedback from the Masters or other pros on exactly which set to use and how to handle true count conversion would be appreciated.