Thread: Mr.X: J Morgan- any P.111 chart changes if non-10?

Mr.X

Mr.X: J Morgan- any P.111 chart changes if non-10?

In a 10/non-10 game, what strategy switches do you make different from the p.111 chart (which assumes 2-9, not A-9). Specifically, 12-14 vs 7,8 and 9?
    My play can vary depending on the count, heat, or length of play against the flasher (more aggressive if I am new against her, fewer strategy switches vs 'veterans'). The count often dictates those low stiff vs high-card-up/non-10- down plays for me, (thus I would have a minor quibble with your p.88 comment about counting while spotting).
    Do you, as a rule of thumb, stay on the 12 & 13's vs high card stiffs when the tables say so, or do you usually hit them (once) to avoid raised eyebrows? I suppose it depends on a lot of variables, but I don't make some plays regardless of the count or read (e.g., split 10's or double A9), I guess my question is does 12 or 13 vs 10up 4 down fall into that category for you?

J Morgan

J Morgan: Re: J Morgan- any P.111 chart changes if non-10?

X: In a 10/non-10 game, what strategy switches do you make different from the p.111 chart

OK, I'm sending the Feds after you. I know you've got a wiretap on my phone or something. In the last two weeks or so, I completed the chart that you desire. There are several differences, so it's probably easiest if you provide me a fax number or mailing address for me to send you a copy. (Email me at [email protected].) It's one page, but not in a format that would make it easy for me to post here or email you.

X: I would have a minor quibble with your p.88 comment.

One day, we'll have to discuss that issue, but I can't do so in this forum. Trust me--you won't be quibbling with me.

X: stay on the 12 & 13's vs high card stiffs when the tables say so, or do you usually hit them (once) to avoid raised eyebrows? I suppose it depends on a lot of variables,

I play more conservatively than the Vegas players that you run into day in and day out. Yes, there are exceptions, but in general I hit when I have a hard 12 or 13. If I hit 12 and catch an Ace, I often hit the 13. As you say, there are tons of variables: (1) Am I betting and spotting myself, or do I have a disposable BP betting the money? (2) Is the game tough enough so that the bosses won't see the flash if they stand next to me? (3) Is anyone watching? (4) Do I plan to play again soon? (5) Do I care if the dealer gets fixed? (6) How big is our bet? (7) Is it a close play (12 v. 12 is way closer than 12 v. 16)? (8) Are we winning or losing? (9) Is the dealer going home soon? (10) How good is the information? (11) How dumb is the boss? (12) Is this a game that the mob knows about, and will they kill the game tomorrow anyway? (13) Is the game dealt faceup or facedown? [this is huge]

Despite these factors, if you're looking for a straight answer, I'd say "yes"--I hit hard 12 and hard 13. It has cost me a ton of money hitting my hard 12.

Mr.X

Mr.X: Re: J Morgan- any P.111 chart changes if non-10?

> OK, I'm sending the Feds after
    > you. I know you've got a wiretap on my phone
    > or something.
    Please talk louder and enunciate better on the phone, sometimes I can't hear you in my headphones.

>In the last two weeks or so, I
    > completed the chart that you desire. There
    > are several differences, so it's probably
    > easiest if you provide me a fax number or
    > mailing address for me to send you a copy.

I apologize if I seem to be abusing the system here and asking you to create new tables. I assumed a 10/non-10 table was done a while ago, because it is arguably (by me) the most common game available today (unfortunately, since it is relatively weak). I'm not proud, I'd LOVE to take you up on that offer. I'll send an email about faxing later today (have to arrange a fax to recieve it).

> One day, we'll have to
    > discuss that issue, but I can't do so in
    > this forum. Trust me--you won't be quibbling
    > with me.
    Sounds good! I already agree with the jist of that paragraph, but I do see non-trivial value in counting. I'd hate to have the I-15 vs. Industrial to downtown the only item to quibble with you about.

> As you say, there are tons of
    > variables: (1) ...thru (13)
    Your list is REALLY good stuff. Right down my alley, too. I may start a thread later on each of several of your points. But to keep this post short (ok, to keep this post from being unweildly long), I will comment just briefly on how some affect me. But I plan on going into more detail later.

(1)Am I betting and spotting
    > myself, or do I have a disposable BP betting
    > the money?
    I play by myself, except for rare occasions of sharing some info when a 2nd spotter sits. And I try to keep that to a minimum. Your way is better, all other things equal.Future thread.

(2) Is the game tough enough so
    > that the bosses won't see the flash if they
    > stand next to me?
    I'm not as good as you. If the game is that tough, then I can't see it either. Can you lend me your tachistoscope? >)

>(3) Is anyone watching?
    Future thread
    > (4) Do I plan to play again soon?
    I almost always do. I am a grinder, pretty much the opposite of you.
    >(5) Do I
    > care if the dealer gets fixed?
    Yes, I do, always.
    > (6) How big is our bet?
    Future thread. I bet an amount which won't attract attention in and of itself. My bet is MUCH smaller than yours. Obviously, your way is much better, if you can get away with it. I feel as though I can't.
    >(7) Is it a close play (12 v. 12
    > is way closer than 12 v. 16)?
    Yes, very important. Another future thread.
    > (8) Are we winning or losing?
    I'm more aggressive if losing.
    >(9) Is the dealer going home soon?
    I'm more aggressive if yes.

(10) How good is the information?
    We've touched upon this topic in previous threads. Most spotters mangle this aspect.

(11) How dumb is the boss?
    I'd replace "dumb" with "sombulent".

> (12) Is this a
    > game that the mob knows about, and will they
    > kill the game tomorrow anyway?
    Oh, I'd love to go into detail here, but better not. I've known 4 games that have had a true "mob". One was the game you wrote about in BJF (I was "Unknown Man"). Other 3 games all dead, ranging from 1991 to 1995. I may mention them in a different forum, if it is frowned upon mentioning game specifics here, even if they are long dead.
    >(13) Is the
    > game dealt faceup or facedown? [this is
    > huge]
    Yes, I agree, absolutely huge.

J Morgan

J Morgan: Re: J Morgan- any P.111 chart changes if non-10?

> Please talk louder and enunciate better on the phone, sometimes I can't hear you in my headphones.

For your convenience, I'll post the translation for my namebook later.

> I apologize if I seem to be abusing the system here and asking you to create new tables. I assumed a 10/non-10 table was done a while ago, because it is arguably (by me) the most common game available today (unfortunately, since it is relatively weak).

I had run the numbers long ago, and had them in my personal materials, but only recently have I made the chart all pretty and presentable.

> Sounds good! I already agree with the jist of that paragraph, but I do see non-trivial value in counting.

I'm sure we're on the same page, same paragraph, but I can't discuss it here.

> I'd hate to have the I-15 vs. Industrial to downtown the only item to quibble with you about.

When I go to Vegas, I rent a car. I take I-15 when I'm going from South or mid-Strip to downtown. For Stratosphere to Downtown, I go local roads. I go the fastest way available, which usually is I-15. Time is money, and I've got lots of dealers to get to. But when I had a smaller bankroll and didn't rent a car, then I would often save a few dollars by telling these cabbies to stay away from I-15.

> of sharing some info when a 2nd spotter sits.

An amusing historical footnote: I had commented that you (Unknown Man) might have been trying to intercept our signals on that game. In a chat you said that all you could remember was "flat is pat," or something like that. I was stumped, because those are NOT the signals I learned. What happened is that you did indeed know the signals at one time, but those signals got blown by being published in a book. When that happened, the signals were changed. You're old school!

> I almost always do. I am a grinder, pretty much the opposite of you.

Different games call for different approaches. Sometimes I grind; sometimes I blast. A big factor is whether others know about the game.

> Future thread. I bet an amount which won't attract attention in and of itself. My bet is MUCH smaller than yours.

My bet is usually $5 or so!