Thread: Don Schlesinger: Happy Holidays!

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Happy Holidays!

I'd like to think that, for most of us, 2002 will be a better year than this past one.

Don

D

D: Re: Happy Holidays! 2nd that.(nt)

x

Double21

Double21: Re: Happy Holidays!

Hollywood

Hollywood: DON, A cute holiday story you in

particular are gonna like. I have a friend that is a recent BJ student. So I decided to get him a copy of BJ attack for christmas.As a result, I asked my daughter to go on line and and order it last week.
    Well, it came friday, and I don't know what happened when she ordered it, but they sent five instead of one.(with a bill for 5 also) Anyway, instead of sending them back, I figured I would just distribute them for the holidays. So a few people will be getting your book this year that I had absolutly no intention of giving it to. When I asked my daughter about it, she said "you know daddy I kept on clicking because I thought it wasn't going through. Now if she was a counter, this probably never would have happened. lol. Happy Holidays and as always thanks for your time.

Regards
    Hollywood

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: A similar story, . . .

When we used to do index arbitrage (buying stocks and selling futures contracts against them), the stock orders were sent to the floor by a D.O.T. (Designated Order Turnaround) machine. You pressed the button to send the order, and, eventually, you got a printout (confirmation) of the quantity of stocks you bought and the prices at which the trades were executed. You loaded paper at the bottom of the machine for the printouts.

One day, we do $100 million worth of stock, and the trader pushes the button. At the same time, a second futures trader is on the phone to Chicago, doing the futures part of the arbitrage. Well, the stock trader panics, because he thinks the order hasn't gone through, and pushes the button again . . . and again and again and again -- a total of FIVE times!!

Well, the order WAS going through, but the machine was out of paper!! So, we traded $500 million worth of stock, with only $100 million of futures sold against it (not a very good hedge!! :-))

Result: The market subsequently went up quite a lot, and we made a fortune being long the extra $400 million worth of stock! Moral: Better lucky than good! :-)

Let's hope being "long" an extra four copies of BJA turns out just as well. :-)

Happy Holidays!

Don

Cyrus

Cyrus: Happy Holidays to you too! (nt)