Thread: Wolverine: Hoover Dam

Wolverine

Wolverine: Hoover Dam

We had a discussion earlier on this board about tours of Hoover Dam. I can give a personal report: tours of the Dam are still alive and well, just not truly INSIDE the Dam. Instead, you are in a side diversion tunnel (where the Colorado River ran while they actually constructed the Dam), the generator room located in Nevada, and an exhibit hall overlooking the Dam. Cost was $11, I believe (I didn't pay, someone else did--I'm such a leach!).

If you are interested in how the Dam was constructed and want to see some technical stuff, then enjoy the tour. If you just want to be in awe of such a big human achievement, then save the $$$ and just park on the Arizona side (no charge) and walk on the Dam with your camera for numerous Kodak moments.

By the way, the US93 by-pass bridge is coming right along with many concrete supports sticking up above the Colorado River basin. They say it will be completed in 2008, but I have my doubts. I hope they do though, as traffic over the Dam is a congested nightmare!

Bettie

Bettie: Re: Hoover Dam

> We had a discussion earlier on this board about tours
    > of Hoover Dam. I can give a personal report: tours of
    > the Dam are still alive and well, just not truly
    > INSIDE the Dam. Instead, you are in a side diversion
    > tunnel (where the Colorado River ran while they
    > actually constructed the Dam), the generator room
    > located in Nevada, and an exhibit hall overlooking the
    > Dam. Cost was $11, I believe (I didn't pay, someone
    > else did--I'm such a leach!).

Basically, they did away with the hard-hat tour and, even though they planned to bring it back after awhile, have since scrapped it entirely. I did the same tour you did back in 2000 when I could have done the hard-hat (pre-9/11), but had elderly relatives who couldn't participate in it and so missed my chance. Maybe sometime in the future they'll bring it back.

Bettie

Wolverine

Wolverine: Re: Hoover Dam

> Maybe sometime in the future they'll bring it back.

I sure hope they do....because the tour now wasn't all that exciting to me. But going inside the dam, that would be damn exciting!

drumz1

drumz1: Re: Hoover Dam

I sure hope they do....because the tour now wasn't all
    that exciting to me. But going inside the dam, that
    would be damn exciting!

Been there, done that, back in the mid '70s. I took the hardhat tour and saw it all. I remember how tall the dam looked when I was at the base of it, looking up, and realizing how deep the water would be at my level. I couldn't help thinking "...What if...." (I will admit to having a short panic attack at that moment, LOL.)?

:-)

I remember how huge the turbine generators were, it was unbelievable.

The whole thing is a distant memory now, but I feel fortunate to have been able to take the tour. Sad to think that the chances for that happening for anyone these days is probably slim and none.

Regards,
    drumz1