Thread: Radar: Best Week to come to Vegas?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    bigplayer

bigplayer: Christmas is a combination of Holidays

Christians piggybacked the celebration of Christs birth onto the pre-Christian weeklong celebration of the start of Winter (Winter Solstace on 12/21). The state celebration of Christmas as a holiday has NOTHING to do with Jesus. For most of the history of the U.S. and in many states the Christmas holiday was illegal. (Particularly in New England).

I have no problem with the decision of a business or private entity (The Fremont Street Experience) to choose the secular celebration of Christmas (as a Winter Festival) and leave the religious meanings of Christmas to the church and people's private homes. In fact, I prefer not to hear "Silent Night" or "O Come all ye Faithful" while I'm plunking away at the Blackjack table or getting a lap dance.

Sun Runner

Sun Runner: Re: Christmas is a combination of Holidays

> Christians piggybacked the celebration of
    > Christs birth onto the pre-Christian
    > weeklong celebration of the start of Winter
    > (Winter Solstace on 12/21).

True enough, but your statement seems to say this act of piracy began sometime last year! In fact the Christian church did begin using that holiday to celebrate the birth of Christ around 300 AD and by 450 AD it was pretty much observed worldwide.

I can't speak for how things were done pre-450 AD; but in the last 1500 years, in the country I live in, in my lifetime, Christmas has been about celebrating the birth of Christ.

> The state
    > celebration of Christmas as a holiday has
    > NOTHING to do with Jesus. For most of the
    > history of the U.S. and in many states the
    > Christmas holiday was illegal. (Particularly
    > in New England).

Again true enough, but for reasons that aren't as they seem.

As I said Christmas -as the birth of Christ -had been in full swing since about 450 AD. During the reformation (1600s), and primarily in England as you point out, the act of celebrating Christmas did become 'illegal' NOT because the people wanted to distance themselves from celebrating Christ's birth, far from it. They felt Christmas had become to secular, to pagan, to properly celebrate the birth of Christ.

But, pagans that we are, we managed to revive the connection

> I have no problem with the decision of a
    > business or private entity (The Fremont
    > Street Experience) to choose the secular
    > celebration of Christmas (as a Winter
    > Festival) and leave the religious meanings
    > of Christmas to the church and people's
    > private homes.

And neither do I.

While I agree that the celebrations of Christ's birth are more meaningful in church or at home, frankly, I find it very small minded of the few that gritch about hearing a song containing the name of Christ or a picture or symbol bearing His likeness either played or seen in public during this time of year.

> In fact, I prefer not to hear
    > "Silent Night" or "O Come all
    > ye Faithful" while I'm ... getting a lap dance.

Certainly understandable. And that is probably why you won't.