Thread: Bettie: Las Vegas Tourism Slogans

Bettie

Bettie: Las Vegas Tourism Slogans

This was in the Saturday LV Review-Journal, and I post it here just for the fun reference to Las Vegas' past tourism slogans.

Bettie

Earlier this week word surfaced that Manny Cortez, president and chief executive officer of the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority, opposes the term "Sin City" as part of a new statewide tourism campaign. Some found that stance hypocritical, saying it conflicts with the LVCVA's risque slogan "What happens here, stays here."

Chopra's comments at the conference came the same day a panel of industry experts lambasted Las Vegas for its sexualized marketing approach to tourism.

The turn toward sexier-themed marketing early this year came after two decades of conservative and often forgettable LVCVA slogans.

In 1980-83, it was "No One Does It Better";
    1983-86, "Resort Bargain of the World";
    1987-90, "American Way to Play";
    1991-93, "Always on the Money";
    1994-95, "A World of Excitement. In One Amazing Place";
    1996-98, "Open 24 Hours";
    1998-99, "It's Anything and Everything";
    2000-August 2001, "What You Want. When You Want";
    September 2001-May 2002, "Freedom to Get Away From It All";
    and June-December 2002, "Freedom from Dullsville."

Parker

Parker: I like this one

Manny Cortez would probably have a fit over it, but somewhere on I-15 (east of Barstow, IIRC), there is a billboard with a picture of a 50's-era woman and the slogan:

"Seven Deadly Sins, One Convenient Location - Las Vegas!"

SOTSOG

SOTSOG: Re: Las Vegas Tourism Slogans

Manny Cortez? Do his friends call him "El" ?

mr bojangles

mr bojangles: Re: Las Vegas Tourism Slogans

what was wrong with ' what happens on the strip stays on the strip' ?

DVCellini

DVCellini: Re: Las Vegas Tourism Slogans

>Some found that stance hypocritical, saying it conflicts with the LVCVA's risque slogan "What happens here, stays here."<

I think they should show a picture of a 22 year old pregnant girl or a down and out homeless drug addict with "that" slogan captured below the picture.

Yes, what happens here, stays here but only for a few months or the rest of your life.