Thread: Little Genie: what is the weather like in Vegas

Little Genie

Little Genie: what is the weather like in Vegas

In Late December and Early January?

Never been at that time but think I will this year, what clothing should I bring?
    Is it hot or cold, does it rain? Is it busy at that time?

Parker

Parker: Vegas winters

> In Late December and Early January?

> Never been at that time but think I will
    > this year, what clothing should I bring?
    > Is it hot or cold, does it rain? Is it busy
    > at that time?

Cold and windy. Bring a warm jacket, long sleeve shirts, sweaters. Daytime temps rarely get above the mid-60's, and it can drop below freezing at night.

It rarely rains at all in Las Vegas (it is, after all, in the middle of the desert), but rain is more likely in Dec/Jan than, say, June. It has even been known to snow, although this is highly unusual.

December 6-15 is the National Finals Rodeo - the town is full of cowboys. The period from the end of the rodeo through Christmas is one of the slowest times of the year.

New Year's Eve is, of course, a Big Deal in Las Vegas.

The first week of January is usually slow, but things quickly pick up. There are several big conventions in January, including the Consumer Electronics Show, which draws over 100,000 people.

Bettie

Bettie: Vegas Rain

I haven't much to add to Parker's comments, but I will say that Vegans consider January their rainy season. When I say "rain," I mean "steady mist," as it rarely actually rains in Vegas (I miss those Midwest thunderstorms sometimes). Last year was a dry one for Vegas, but the winter I moved here, it rained (misted) for several days in a row, several times in January. A small fold-up umbrella might be good to be prepared, as it can be hard to find one on the Strip if you need to.

Bettie