Thread: Kasey: Neonopolis - what is it?

Kasey

Kasey: Neonopolis - what is it?

Parker mentions neonopolis is open now. It was under construction when I was there in April and looked very interesting.

What is it exactly?

Thanks!

Parker

Parker: Downtown's newest attraction

> Parker mentions neonopolis is open now. It
    > was under construction when I was there in
    > April and looked very interesting.

> What is it exactly?

It's a shopping mall, for lack of a better term, although certainly not your average strip mall. It features a 14 screen multiplex theater, a food court, numerous shops, restaurants, a rather comfy saloon, and coming soon, a bowling alley/billiard hall. It also is a "Neon Museum," with vintage neon from old Las Vegas and elsewhere adorning the exterior and the glass elevator tower that is sort of the centerpiece of the place. Needless to say, the neon is most impressive when viewed at night.

It provides a pleasant enough break from the tables, and the theater, with state-of-the-art dolby sound and stadium seating, is a comfortable place to catch a flick. They even have a couple of screens devoted to indie and art films, in addition to the usual current Hollywood productions that you can see anywhere.

The underground parking garage is new (of course), well-lit, free, and a good place to park when hitting the east end of the Fremont Street Experience.

Wally

Wally: Re: Neonopolis - what is it?

Parker pretty well describes the place. Most of the stores are specialty retailers and kiosks. If you and your SO are feeling jiggy, you can stop in at Frederick's (like me and the missus did - made the kids stand outside of the store in the heat).

The open areas are not air conditioned so you might want to go early. I thought it was an interesting diversion, but I wouldn't put it on the "must see" list.

I didn't check out the movie theater. I can see movies, but I can't play blackjack, at home.

Wally

Wally

Wally: Re: Neonopolis - what is it?

And something else. There were a lot of "street people" hanging around and leering at my teenage daughter (she looks like a petite Jennifer Lopez). But no one actually accosted us or acted threatening at any time.

Wally