Thread: Don Schlesinger: Question for AOL users

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Question for AOL users

I would like to attach a folder to an e-mail and send the folder, without having to first open the folder and attach the contents, file by file, as I have a folder than contains a couple of dozen files.

I know, once opened, that I can select all the files at once, and then attach and send them, but I am trying to preserve a modified order in which the files are arranged, and if I have to open the folder and attach the files separately, they won't be received in the same order as they currently are.

Thanks.

Don

MGP

MGP: Re: Question for AOL users

> I would like to attach a folder to an e-mail and send
    > the folder, without having to first open the folder
    > and attach the contents, file by file, as I have a
    > folder than contains a couple of dozen files.

> I know, once opened, that I can select all the files
    > at once, and then attach and send them, but I am
    > trying to preserve a modified order in which the files
    > are arranged, and if I have to open the folder and
    > attach the files separately, they won't be received in
    > the same order as they currently are.

The easiest way is to Zip the directory but it may not retain the order of the files. Why in the world would that matter btw? If it's important enough you could always write down or take a screenshot of the order of the files and the person on the other end can re-arrange the files on their computer when they get them.

Sincerely,
    MGP

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Question for AOL users

> The easiest way is to Zip the directory but it may not
    > retain the order of the files.

You won't believe it, but I actually figured out how to do that on my own, zipped the folder and was able to send it.

> Why in the world would
    > that matter btw?

On my own computer, I ordered the files within the folder (it's an options conference presentation) in the order that I wanted them to appear in a printed notebook. Some are PP, some Word, and some Excel. To my dismay, when I zipped them and sent them to myself, as a test, the order reverts to By Name (or, alternatively) number, and that's no longer the right order. I renumbered all the files, and now it preserves the order I need for the recipient to understand what's going on.

> If it's important enough you could
    > always write down or take a screenshot of the order of
    > the files and the person on the other end can
    > re-arrange the files on their computer when they get
    > them.

See above. I made his life easier! :-)

I appreciate your response. My finding how to do this on my own was one of life's small miracles! :-)

Don