Thread: Parker: Spyware's bad; free software to fight it is good

Parker

Parker: Spyware's bad; free software to fight it is good

Pick a Macintosh or Linux computer, and you're pretty well protected from Internet threats such as viruses and spyware.

Even if you use Windows, simply refusing to open e-mail attachments and Web-browsing only with Firefox or Opera instead of Internet Explorer will keep you reasonably safe.

The above is from a Seattle Times article that is a nice summary of the minimum steps necessary in order to safely access the Internet these days. It is written in plain language easily understood by non-geeks.

About the only thing the article neglects is to stress the importance of frequently checking for (and installing) the latest Windows Updates (or configuring your computer to do this automatically).

The article helpfully includes links to good free security tools such as AVG anti-virus and Ad-Aware spyware removal software.

Hopefully nothing in the article is new to regular readers of this forum.

Link to complete article below.

Karl D

Karl D: Good advice on secure computing

> Pick a Macintosh or Linux computer, and you're pretty
    > well protected from Internet threats such as viruses
    > and spyware.

Additionally, not to forget, is to make sure that firewalls are properly configured. Most people are on-line 24/7 connected via cable or DSL and most systems have built-in firewalls either as software or in a separate router. It's important to make sure that only the IP port numbers that indeed are used for various servers are kept open and the rest are closed from external access. In their default configuration, many firewalls are not set to the highest security level, which can be explored by viruses and worms. Again, of course, this is mostly a threat to Microsoft Windows systems but could potentially pose some risk to other systems as well.

zengrifter

zengrifter: Grisoft vs. Spyware?

The author says -
    "You don't have to buy security software; some of the best is free. AVG (http://free.grisoft.com) is my favorite free antivirus program. Using that, you're ready to protect against spyware ? programs that install on your computer without your full knowledge or permission."

Does anyone know if it will work?

I'm currently hijacked with browser prompts to purchase SpySheriff and Malwarewipe! Spybot doesn't remove it, MS Anti-Spyware doesn't, McAfee doesn't.

Some of it seems to be connected to files I found in 'system32' called mssearch.exe and mscornet.exe but I can't remove them - even with system restore turned off!

HELP!! zg

Ps - The last thing I want to do is purchase some removal software that still doesnt do it and I'm certainly not going to buy Spysheriff of Malwarewipe!

Parker

Parker: Re: Grisoft vs. Spyware?

AVG is anti-virus software. Viruses are not the same as spyware.

Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy are free, legitimate anti-spyware products. Install them, use them, and make sure you have all the latest updates for them.

It's a pretty clever racket that some of these bogus "anti-spyware" companies have got going: First they infect your computer with spyware, then they sell you a product that will (supposedly) get rid of it.

Below is a link to a page that discusses a lot of these products. You will note that SpySheriff and MalwareWipe are prominently featured.

Unfortunately, some of this stuff can be really difficult to remove. If Ad-Aware and Spybot don't do the trick, you may be further ahead to back up your important data files, re-format your hard drive and do a complete re-installation of Windows.

Or install Linux so you don't have to worry about all this crap. Works for me. :-)

zengrifter

zengrifter: Spyware Success - SPYCATCHER!

Re: Malwarewipe and SpySheriff Removal

I tried the McAfee instructions to no avail.

I tried self deleting the suspicious files unsuccessfully.

AOL SpywareRemover, MS AntiSpyware, and even SpyBot and Ad-AwareSE didn't work for these buggers!

The FREE SpyCatcher from Tenebril is the nuts! Fast, imediate relief. (I found it via Parker's link below - thanks!)

Frankly, I'm surprised that the big names in anti-virus don't deal effectively with spyware. zg

PARKER WROTE:
    > AVG is anti-virus software. Viruses are not the same
    > as spyware.

> Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy are free,
    > legitimate anti-spyware products. Install them, use
    > them, and make sure you have all the latest updates
    > for them.

> It's a pretty clever racket that some of these bogus
    > "anti-spyware" companies have got going:
    > First they infect your computer with spyware, then
    > they sell you a product that will (supposedly) get rid
    > of it.

> Below is a link to a page that discusses a lot of
    > these products. You will note that SpySheriff and
    > MalwareWipe are prominently featured.

> Unfortunately, some of this stuff can be really
    > difficult to remove. If Ad-Aware and Spybot don't do
    > the trick, you may be further ahead to back up your
    > important data files, re-format your hard drive and do
    > a complete re-installation of Windows.

> Or install Linux so you don't have to worry about all
    > this crap. Works for me. :-)