Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don Schlesinger: Regulating computer clock

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Regulating computer clock

My computer clock runs annoyingly slowly. I used to have an application on my old computer that linked its clock to an atomic clock that regulated the computer one and kept it reasonably accurate. When I switched computers, I didn't re-install that application.

Does anyone know what it is and where I can get it?

Thanks.

Don

bfbagain

bfbagain: Need more info

Is the "clock" slow, as in the second hand? Is the clock "keeping time slow?" How old is the computer? What OS are you running?

All of the above are different issues. For example, if the clock "time" is habitually slow, then the problem lies in the battery on the mainbord. I suspect that's what you're referring to.

Other than changing the battery, the solution is to use a clock application, like you referenced. However, many of those today are infected with adware, spyware etc.

If you're running XP, XP has a built in time sync app which will keep your system time correct.

I'll wait for your answers

bfb

MGP

MGP: Re: Regulating computer clock

> My computer clock runs annoyingly slowly. I
    > used to have an application on my old
    > computer that linked its clock to an atomic
    > clock that regulated the computer one and
    > kept it reasonably accurate. When I switched
    > computers, I didn't re-install that
    > application.

> Does anyone know what it is and where I can
    > get it?

There are actually a whole bunch of them - just type in "atomic clock" into Google. You might be able to find the same one from the search.

Good luck,
    MGP

Parker

Parker: Be careful

> There are actually a whole bunch of them -
    > just type in "atomic clock" into
    > Google. You might be able to find the same
    > one from the search.

Back in the "good old days" these utilities were plentiful, and many of them were free. Sadly, there are still plenty of them around, but as bjbagain noted, many of them serve as vehicles for spyware.

Here is a link to one I use on my Windows systems that does not contain any spyware, at least as far as I can tell. There is no mention of spyware in the fine print of the EULA, and Ad-Aware and Spybot both seem to like it. Best of all, it is free.

Computer clocks are notoriously inaccurate. However, (as bfbagain also noted) if your clock is routinely off by large amounts, or if it seems to be getting worse, you may need to replace your computer's CMOS battery. Any computer shop can do this for a small fee, or you can do it yourself if you are comfortable getting "under the hood" of your computer.

Magician

Magician: Pricelessware

> Back in the "good old days" these
    > utilities were plentiful, and many of them
    > were free. Sadly, there are still plenty of
    > them around, but as bjbagain noted, many of
    > them serve as vehicles for spyware.

Indeed. If you want to know "what is the best Freeware for (fill-in-the-blank)?", the best place to start (apart from Computing for Counters) is alt.comp.freeware's Pricelessware list. Neither spyware nor adware programs are included in the list.

In the category of Time Synchronizer they recommend something called Atomic Clock Sync. You can nominate another program or participate in the voting on the alt.comp.freeware.

Illusion

Illusion: Re: Regulating computer clock

Is this computer older or brand new? Possible cause is a weak or bad CMOS battery. Call a local computer shop to fix this if your not comfortable opening your computer and changing it yourself.

CMOS Battery

Saboteur

Saboteur: Hhhhmm. Where have I heard that before? ;) *NM*

Parker

Parker: Great link, thanks!

I'm a huge fan of free stuff, be it comps or software. This is a fantastic resource, of which I was previously unaware. It's nice to know that some of the Usenet Newsgroups are still alive and functional.

Parker

Parker: CMOS Battery

While your desire to be helpful is certainly commendable, I think it is safe to assume that anyone reading this page knows how to use Google. :-)

As far as replacing the CMOS battery, some motherboards have this battery in a socket, and replacing it is as simple as removing a cover and snapping in a new one, others have it soldered in place. Replacing one of these will require basic soldering skills, not to mention a soldering iron and solder.

In either case, the system BIOS may need to be reset and/or adjusted after the CMOS battery is replaced. It is possible that the computer may not even boot up until this is done. Anyone who has no idea what I am talking about would probably be better off taking the computer to the local repair shop.

Another thought: The typical CMOS battery has a life of 5-10 years. If the battery is indeed failing, it might be a good time to think about upgrading the system.

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Thanks for all the suggestions

I tried to download the pricelessware atomic clock, but nothing seems to be happening. I'll have to try again.

And, the fact that some of you would suggest that I try to change the CMOS battery myself is one of the funnier things I've read on this page and indicates how little you all know about how little I know about computers! :-)

Don

Parker

Parker: Re: Thanks for all the suggestions

> I tried to download the pricelessware atomic
    > clock, but nothing seems to be happening.
    > I'll have to try again.

When you click on the "Go to download page" on the pricelessware.com site, it will take you to Winsite, a download site, where you will see a box describing the Atomic Clock Sync utility. Click on the "Download Now" link on the right side of the box. Winsite will show you some advertising for about 30 seconds before starting the download.

Note where you save the file ("atomic.exe") and then install it in the usual manner. It will place an icon on your desktop, and also in the system tray when it is running. Click on "Ping now" to synchronize your clock.

If you leave your computer booted up all the time, pull down the File menu and check "Auto Synchronize Daily." If you turn your computer off when you're not using it, check "Auto Start With Windows" and the clock will synchronize when you boot up.

> And, the fact that some of you would suggest
    > that I try to change the CMOS battery myself
    > is one of the funnier things I've read on
    > this page and indicates how little you all
    > know about how little I know about
    > computers! :-)

I know better. :-)

My comments were entirely for the benefit of anyone else with a similar problem who might be reading the thread. Actually, I don't think your computer is old enough to be needing a new CMOS battery. If the system clock consistently loses (or gains) a few seconds or minutes each day, there is probably nothing wrong with the battery.

I have a little Toshiba Libretto sub-notebook in which both the system and CMOS batteries have died. When I plug in the AC adapter and boot it up after being unplugged for several days, not only the time, but the day, month and year are all way off.

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Thanks for all the suggestions

> When you click on the "Go to download
    > page" on the pricelessware.com site, it
    > will take you to Winsite, a download site,
    > where you will see a box describing the
    > Atomic Clock Sync utility. Click on the
    > "Download Now" link on the right
    > side of the box. Winsite will show you some
    > advertising for about 30 seconds before
    > starting the download.

I did all that. But I saw nothing to indicate that a download was completed.

> Note where you save the file
    > ("atomic.exe") and then install it
    > in the usual manner.

Never got to that point. Don't know why.

> It will place an icon
    > on your desktop, and also in the system tray
    > when it is running. Click on "Ping
    > now" to synchronize your clock.

Will have to try again.

> If you leave your computer booted up all the
    > time, pull down the File menu and check
    > "Auto Synchronize Daily."

No, I don't.

> If you
    > turn your computer off when you're not using
    > it, check "Auto Start With
    > Windows" and the clock will synchronize
    > when you boot up.

OK. But I have to see why the download never occurred.

Don

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: How long should the download take?

Something at the bottom says "transferring data from ftp.mirror.ac.uk ..." and that's the end of that. Just sits there forever doing nothing.

If I wait long enough, is something supposed to happen? Clearly, this isn't working properly.

Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast