Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don Schlesinger: Regulating computer clock

Parker

Parker: Re: How long should the download take?

> Something at the bottom says
    > "transferring data from
    > ftp.mirror.ac.uk ..." and that's the
    > end of that. Just sits there forever doing
    > nothing.

> If I wait long enough, is something supposed
    > to happen? Clearly, this isn't working
    > properly.

The file is less than a megabyte, so it should only take a few seconds to download on a high speed Internet connection, and not more than a couple of minutes on a dial-up.

First, assuming that you are using a reasonably current version of Netscape or Mozilla, click on the "Tools" menu and then "Download Manager" and look for a file called "atomic.exe." If you see it, click on "Show File Location" and find out where your computer downloaded it to. Go there and proceed as above.

If you don't find it, try the link below to download it from CNET's download.com. Just click on the link and then click on "Download Now."

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Won't download

It simply will not download. I get the following pop-up message: [The big, long name of the file] and then:

"could not be saved because the source file could not be read."

Computers: gotta hate 'em!

Don

Parker

Parker: Re: Won't download

> It simply will not download. I get the
    > following pop-up message: [The big, long
    > name of the file] and then:

> "could not be saved because the source
    > file could not be read."

> Computers: gotta hate 'em!

I don't understand why you are experiencing so much difficulty. I just downloaded the program (from the download.com site) and e-mailed it to you.

So, you will receive an e-mail from me with an attachment. It is not a virus. :-)

Let me know if you have any problems installing it.

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Won't download

> I don't understand why you are experiencing
    > so much difficulty. I just downloaded the
    > program (from the download.com site) and
    > e-mailed it to you.

> So, you will receive an e-mail from me with
    > an attachment. It is not a virus. :-)

> Let me know if you have any problems
    > installing it.

All done in two seconds! Still a mystery to me as to why I couldn't do it directly.

Thank you.

Don

Saboteur

Saboteur: Maybe your Download Battery has gone bad, too! ;) *NM*

Magician

Magician: Firewall?

> All done in two seconds! Still a mystery to
    > me as to why I couldn't do it directly.

Could be that the download is being blocked at your end by a firewall or router. Some of these download sites like to serve files on non-standard ports.

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Firewall?

> Could be that the download is being blocked
    > at your end by a firewall or router. Some of
    > these download sites like to serve files on
    > non-standard ports.

Interesting, since I have both a firewall and a router!

Don

bfbagain

bfbagain: more likely your virus app

You never did answer my question as to what OS you're running. And the virus app; and which browser; is MS auto-updating etc...

These are answers needed to determine why you can't download. It's unlikely that a firewall and/or router will prevent you from downloading through port 80 (which is what your browser uses).

It's more likely that a security setting in IE, if you use it, or your virus application, is preventing it.

Also, the fact that Parker was able to email the file (as an attachment) makes the security issue in IE moot. As well as the virus app.

So now that I have thoroughly confused you, if you can answer the above questions, it's likely I can provide an answer. :-)

cheers
    bfb

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: more likely your virus app

> You never did answer my question as to what
    > OS you're running. And the virus app; and
    > which browser; is MS auto-updating etc...

Windows XP. Norton Anti-Virus. Netscape 7.1. I have no idea what auto-updating means.

And, for the record, I've rarely had a problem downloading anything.

Don

bfbagain

bfbagain: A checklist

The following two locations should provide enough info to make a final determination.

Please copy the link, paste into your browser address bar, and hit enter. You should be prompted to save the file and then to the location on your computer. For easy access (as you can always either delete the file or move it elsewhere later) I suggest to save it to your desktop as a default location.

If both files are successfully downloaded, delete them from your desktop.

What that is likely to mean, after all this, is nothing.....sorry. In other words, you (meaning your system) wasn't the problem. It was likely the website that you were attempting to connect and download from. There are multiple reasons for this, none of which you're likely to be interested in.

My guess is you will be able to download them fine.

http://www.tolvanen.com/syncit/download.shtml

http://www.qfit.com/update357.msi

Please give a final update when done, and we can close the book on this.

cheers
    bfb

Magician

Magician: Re: more likely your virus app

> It's unlikely that a
    > firewall and/or router will prevent you from
    > downloading through port 80 (which is what
    > your browser uses).

My browser uses ports 21, 80, 81, 443, 554, 1755 and 8080, amongst others. You seem to be ignoring (or ignorant of?) the facts that HTTP servers can run on any port and browsers can handle other protocols besides HTTP.

Having said that, all the links on this particular download page appear to be to either HTTP or FTP servers running on default ports.

Don, their are several other links on that page you can try to download the file from alternate locations. If one of those works, I'd put it down to a problem at their end, not yours.

bfbagain

bfbagain: Ignorant of....

Sure.

That must be it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12