Thread: Wildcard: MS 2k Excel formula ?

Wildcard

Wildcard: MS 2k Excel formula ?

I have a basic knowledge of formulas, however, I'm stuck on this one...

I'm trying to create a formula that will subtract the difference between column "A", and column "B". I'm working with a fixed range of 1-206 data items. The items are simple math, i.e. 26 minus 20 = 6, 34 minus 24 = 10. Of course the difference is place in column "C".

I would like to create a formula that will automatically subtract the contents of A from B, place it in C, in one fell swoop of all 206 data items. Column B is always larger or null.

I have 3 sets of data to deal with, and after not being able to figure out the formula to do this, I began manually. Whoa Nelly!!! My mind was numbing up after about 30 of these things, having to perform 618 subtractions is much too intense and a huge waste of time.

Any help is much appreciated.
    Thanks!!

Wildcard

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Re: MS 2k Excel formula ?

In column C1 put =A1-B1

Click on C1

Hit ctrl-C

Highlight C2 through C206

Hit Ctrl-V

toddler

toddler: Relative Operators

WC,

It's simple as long as you keep in mind you want to use relative position operator in your equation.

Simply, your formula would be this: +B1-A1. You would type this into cell C1, press Enter and the display will give you your total. But you want this replicated hundreds of times.

Now, if you want to replicate this same formula for n number of rows, then you would use cut and paste with a relative position operator in your equation: +$B1-$A1. Once you enter this into cell C1, select cell C1, select Edit/Copy, then select the cells into which you wish the formula to exist, then select Edit/Paste. Once this is completed, cell C2 should have the formula +$B2-$A2 and cell C3 would read +$B3-$A3, and so on.

Hope that helps.

toddler

Wildcard

Wildcard: thanks Norm and Toddler - BTW...

I had posted a similar message yesterday. Perhaps I didn't hit the "post message" key. Not having my best week.

Igor

Igor: (Message Deleted by Poster)

Wildcard

Wildcard: Thanks, I got it all figured out. *NM*