Thread: Don Schlesinger: Norton Anti-Virus question

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Norton Anti-Virus question

After installing my new computer, I reinstalled Norton Anti-Virus, which, as far as I can tell, is working perfectly, except for one annoying problem.

I have scheduled a disk scan to be performed regularly, each Friday night at 8 p.m. In the past, that went off without a hitch, only now, the scan simply doesn't take place. I've done things like scheduling it for five minutes from when I'm sitting in front of the computer, to see what happens, and always the result is ... nothing!

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong?

Thanks.

Don

Viktor Nacht

Viktor Nacht: Sleep or Hibernate?

Is your computer set to "sleep" or "hibernate" after a certain length of inactivity? This could prevent any scheduled task from running. Check your Energy Saver settings. I do not know where those are on an XP system.

Good Cards

V,

AdvantageRay

AdvantageRay: On XP...

..Start/Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance/Power Options..

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Sleep or Hibernate?

> Is your computer set to "sleep" or
    > "hibernate" after a certain length
    > of inactivity? This could prevent any
    > scheduled task from running. Check your
    > Energy Saver settings. I do not know where
    > those are on an XP system.

Interesting, but it can't be the problem, since, when the computer is active, I set it to run the scan two minutes later, and it doesn't.

Don

Viktor Nacht

Viktor Nacht: Is the AM/PM set properly?

Maybe there's some confusion about AM/PM in either your system settings or the virus scan scheduler.

Try using a 24 hour clock to double-check.

If that doesn't work, buy a Mac.

Good Cards,

V

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Is the AM/PM set properly?

> Maybe there's some confusion about AM/PM in
    > either your system settings or the virus
    > scan scheduler.

It's clearly set for p.m., and my system clock has the correct time, as well.

Don

george

george: Re: Norton Anti-Virus question

> After installing my new computer, I
    > reinstalled Norton Anti-Virus, which, as far
    > as I can tell, is working perfectly, except
    > for one annoying problem.

> I have scheduled a disk scan to be performed
    > regularly, each Friday night at 8 p.m. In
    > the past, that went off without a hitch,
    > only now, the scan simply doesn't take
    > place. I've done things like scheduling it
    > for five minutes from when I'm sitting in
    > front of the computer, to see what happens,
    > and always the result is ... nothing!

> Can anyone suggest what might be wrong?

> Thanks.

> Don
    more important is that e/mail FROM bj sites seem to have a bug attached. Some site owners are not aware of this. "I wouldn"t be paranoid if they weren't out to get me"
    George
    blackjack16vs10

Parker

Parker: Viruses and such

> more important is that e/mail FROM bj sites
    > seem to have a bug attached. Some site
    > owners are not aware of this.

Even more important is the fact that e-mail that appears to be from a bj site may not be from that site at all.

Viruses use the addresses in an infected computer's Outlook (Or Outlook Express) address book to "spoof" the return address. Any blackjack enthusiast will likely have Advantageplayer.com, bj21.com, etc., in his/her address book.

It is highly unlikely that any e-mail that was actually from Advantageplayer.com would have a virus attached, if for no other reason than that most of our administrators use non-Windows operating systems.

A little common sense will prevent most virus infectiions: Never open any e-mail attachment unless it is something that you have specifically requested the sender to send to you. Even then, it is a good idea to first scan it with your anti-virus program of choice.